Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it me or.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know movie studios, for one, are strictly thinking about money. That's why you see so many remakes, reboots and sequels.

Coming up with a new idea or movie concept is a huge risk.

Remaking or making a sequel for an already established idea is safer than gambling on something new.

For music and tv shows, I think it comes down to sticking with a successful formula and milking it until its no longer profitable. Thats why you see so many reality shows and musical acts that all sound the same.

Comment

When it comes to music in general I think to myself, Music that has come out over the past few years will it be remembered and played 20-30 years down the line. I honestly don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        Are singers, actors, and entertainers in general just so much worse than they were 30-40 years ago?

I find that singers were so much more talented back in the day, real iconic voices that weren't helped with computers to "clean up" their voices.

Actors back in the day could do it all, be funny, drama, you name it. Now it seems it's more about what you look like.

It could be I'm getting older but I find a lot of artists of today, not to be real artists at all.
        it's an interesting point that you bring up.
        there are great muscians and entertainers in any era. people are born with the talent to draw us in. the endearing qualities of a world class entertainer cannot be taught. i don't think they'll ever go away.

we can just call the phenomenon "It."

people still have "It."

i think they mainstream media attempts to water down the talent today, keeping a much more active role in the production of the music. back in the day if you were talented they gave you a contract and set you loose. today they people who are financing these talented young people are keeping a much more active hand in the production of the entertainment, with the intention of broadening the appeal and generating more money.

you've still got great musicians and bands, though, from every era. i grew up listening to great 90's bands like alice in chains, pearl jam, and soundgarden. in my adult years i've rediscovered rap from the early 90's and late 80's, which is just supurb.

one of my favorite bands ever, radiohead, are still making albums. their last album [king of limbs,] wasn't great IMO, but "in rainbows" is the best new album i've heard in five years.

Comment

Lately I have been really turned off by the music that comes out now. I used to be really into rap but now nothing really stands out to me. I've been on a big Bob Dylan kick the past couple of weeks.

But I do think the talent is still there in artists out there now they just cater towards the new generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Addition View Post
            When it comes to music in general I think to myself, Music that has come out over the past few years will it be remembered and played 20-30 years down the line. I honestly don't think so.
            This is exactly what i think to myself

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              it's an interesting point that you bring up.
              there are great muscians and entertainers in any era. people are born with the talent to draw us in. the endearing qualities of a world class entertainer cannot be taught. i don't think they'll ever go away.

we can just call the phenomenon "It."

people still have "It."

i think they mainstream media attempts to water down the talent today, keeping a much more active role in the production of the music. back in the day if you were talented they gave you a contract and set you loose. today they people who are financing these talented young people are keeping a much more active hand in the production of the entertainment, with the intention of broadening the appeal and generating more money.

you've still got great musicians and bands, though, from every era. i grew up listening to great 90's bands like alice in chains, pearl jam, and soundgarden. in my adult years i've rediscovered rap from the early 90's and late 80's, which is just supurb.

one of my favorite bands ever, radiohead, are still making albums. their last album [king of limbs,] wasn't great IMO, but "in rainbows" is the best new album i've heard in five years.
              Actually in that sense, you are wrong and it's completely the opposite. In the old days, artists had no chance in owning their masters and having complete artistic control of their music. You often hired a big named producer and they worked your album for you.

Now artists can go to smaller labels or produce themselves. The problem is that the market is over saturated, everyone has a record nowadays. You can get famous on youtube and/or put your stuff on itunes.

My nephew has a record label and he has sold most of his stuff to Japan where they really appreciate real hip hop.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                Actually in that sense, you are wrong and it's completely the opposite. In the old days, artists had no chance in owning their masters and having complete artistic control of their music. You often hired a big named producer and they worked your album for you.

Now artists can go to smaller labels or produce themselves. The problem is that the market is over saturated, everyone has a record nowadays. You can get famous on youtube and/or put your stuff on itunes.

My nephew has a record label and he has sold most of his stuff to Japan where they really appreciate real hip hop.
                Artists who are on smaller labels or produce themselves and are successful I could count on the fingers of my hand.

There was a lot more freedom back then in creating music because not many people knew the formula to creating pop music. A song like In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida would not allowed by record labels today.

Comment

The music business is a talentless pile of ****. Everything from the songs down to the way they look are created for them and their voices are even tuned. Bring back the days when only real talented people created music. I know there was a few artists back in the 60s (mostly Motown artists) that didn't write their songs but at least their singing was real.

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
                    Artists who are on smaller labels or produce themselves and are successful I could count on the fingers of my hand.

There was a lot more freedom back then in creating music because not many people knew the formula to creating pop music. A song like In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida would not allowed by record labels today.
                    Naw man, there was less freedom back then because most of the artist belonged to major labels because that's all that was around. They paid for your studio time, press costs and everything in between. Then you had no control of the music you helped make.

It's the reason that artists like Prince created their own label.

Comment

Also, I think we are more open to new things when we are younger.

As we get older, we get set in our ways so all of a sudden, new music becomes weird and we can't relate to it.

Every generation finds themselves talking **** about the new generations' music.

Comment

Working...
                      X