Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If tyson fought in Clay/ali time he would be greater than he is now.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If tyson fought in Clay/ali time he would be greater than he is now.

i think so sure would have lost to ali but would have most likly beat all the other fighters. i think he would have beat ali once.

he will not beat ali, and foreman. but he may have a good chance against frazier

Comment

I could see him and Frazier having the greatest boxing trilogy of all-time in that era instead of Frazier and Ali.

Comment

he probably would.

Comment

Yea but he would have no chance against Ali, Tyson's too agressive

Comment

I don't know if "no chance" is the safe play here. His fighting style wasn't too far from Frazier's, and Frazier fought well against Ali all three times. Tyson would have given Ali trouble, but Ali would have beaten Tyson at least 2 out of 3. If, and I mean if Tyson would have beaten Ali, it would have been during their first fight when he had surprise on his side.

I believe Tyson would have beaten Frazier. Mike had more weapons, and he could lay it on more aggressively than George Foreman did to Frazier.

Foreman's mummy-like fighting style might have been difficult for Mike for the same reasons James 'Buster' Douglas's was. George can also hit harder than Douglas could.

Mike would have demolished Ernie Shavers, as Ernie had the weakest chin of that era (vs. Tex Cobb, anyone?).

Chuvalo and various others are difficult to gauge, as those fighters were always tough vs. any opponent.

All in all, I think that Mike Tyson probably would have posted a better career during that time period because of the richness of the hall-of-famers. While there weren't as many fighters in amazing shape during that time frame, there were more big names and styled fighters. After all, style makes the fight. This could have made Tyson more of an oiled machine, and it may have given him the discipline he needed to stay on top. Fighting a bunch of guys who don't pose a threat probably lead to a serious case of arrogance, and lack of preparedness. If all would have gone as we've discussed above, Tyson could have been 50-4 or so, with more quality victories. His career would have been heralded, instead of hotly disputed. Just a theory.
            Last edited by Brassangel; 12-21-2005, 01:39 PM.

Comment

he certainly would have had a much more impressive resume. As far as beating the top fighters like Foreman, Liston, Frasier and Ali I dont know how well he would have done. I think he probably could have walked away from trilogoy with Frasier as the winner but it could have gone either way. But Ali would have pyshed him out before the fight and Tyson was too weak mentally to handle it and Ali would have picked him apart. But Foreman and Liston would have beaten him Tyson couldnt handle it when people would stand and actually fight with him instead of just boxing him.

Comment

Since trilogies, or best two-of's were the big thing of that era, let's get hypothetical. First, we'll assume that Tyson stays with Rooney and focuses on each fighter. Secondly, we'll assume that his career spans from 1965-1979 or so.

VS.
                Ali = 1-2 (Tyson got lucky in fight 1)
                Foreman = 0-1 (Tyson's frustration prevents rematch)
                Liston = 1-1 (Out of ring brawl cancels 3rd fight)
                Frazier = 2-0 (Tyson's power and weapons are overwhelming)
                Holmes = 1-1 (Tyson retires before a 3rd fight)
                Chuvalo = 2-0 (Tyson usually wasn't outbrawled by converts)
                Norton = 1-0 (Norton recedes under pressure; a la Foreman)
                Shavers = 2-0 (Weakest chin ever)

Overall = 10-5

Not a bad resume against that lot, and it would look a lot better than the 6 losses he has in his current career. I think that Liston vs. Tyson would be an absolute bloodbath in the ring. Both fighters landing stiff combinations; Liston with the reach and Tyson with the speed. Tyson would win the first fight, but Liston would be a little smarter in fight two. This would piss off Iron Mike forcing some out-of-the-ring shenanigans that prevent a third match. I'm also not convinced that Holmes could take Tyson, regardless of what time period you find Holmes in. He might have won one of the fights on points, but that's it. Just speculation.

Tear it apart at will.
                Last edited by Brassangel; 12-21-2005, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Tyson in the eighties was not mentally weak. He showed in several fights he had heart, perserverance, and endless aggression. He dominated during his time because he was that good. I believe he would have dominated the previous decade as well. The only fighter I see with a style that could obliterate Tyson would be Foreman.

Comment

stop makin excuses for tyson damn!

Comment

Working...
                    X