No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Orlando Salido-Mikey Garcia: Pre-Fight Report Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Orlando Salido-Mikey Garcia: Pre-Fight Report Card

by Cliff Rold - They are fighters who have traveled different paths.

The defending titlist turned professional in March 1996 at the tender age of 15, suffering his first of five career stoppage losses. He suffered the last of those five in March 2000, his record a less than average 8-6-1.

Then the switch started to flip.

Orlando Salido hasn’t been unbeaten since 2000, but if a fight ended early it’s because he ended it. 31-5-1 since that rocky start, he’s faced a who’s who of former champions fighting between the Featherweight and Lightweight limits. Salido went the route in a title try against Juan Manuel Marquez He handed Robert Guerrero his second loss and won his first title in 2006, only to cough it up on a failed test for performance enhancing drugs. He lost and then won in cracks at the IBF title against Cristobal Cruz. He had Yuriorkis Gamboa on the deck before falling twice himself in a decision loss for that crown.

Salido is 5-0 since, all of those wins by knockout. The two biggest of those wins give him the title he holds now to the detriment of once undefeated WBO titlist Juan Manuel Lopez. Each of their battles was a candidate for Fight of the Year. In the second, Salido came off the floor to win. He did the same in stopping the unexpected Weng Haya.

Orlando Salido is all sorts of blue-collar fighter, and he learned his craft as he went.

His challenger this weekend comes to battle from a different path. Part of a fighting family, Mikey Garcia is the brother and mentee of one of the game’s best trainers, Robert Garcia. While Salido was learning to stay on his feet, Garcia was watching his big brother win a title at 130 lbs. and trade shots with some of the best Jr. Lightweights in the world. [Click Here To Read More]

Aw, Cliff...you had me going there until the end! Picked the wrong guy! Boooo!

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC
      Aw, Cliff...you had me going there until the end! Picked the wrong guy! Boooo!
      Yea the whole report sounded like he was favoring Salido but then... denied!

On a side note, how many people do you think would actually give Salido the advantage in defense?

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post

On a side note, how many people do you think would actually give Salido the advantage in defense?
        When I think Salido, I don't think "defense," but he really isn't bad. Orlando moves well. He's constantly on the move, which makes him harder to hit and harder to defend against.

By the way, Cliff provided the answer you were looking for: Mikey has "B+" power. lol

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC
          Quote:

Originally Posted by jsfd26

When I think Salido, I don't think "defense," but he really isn't bad. Orlando moves well. He's constantly on the move, which makes him harder to hit and harder to defend against.

By the way, Cliff provided the answer you were looking for: Mikey has "B+" power. lol
          Actually, if Cliff has watched him fight live he could have a pretty good idea.

One way to find out is to see how he handles guys as he steps up in competition or goes up in weight, which might be soon judging by his weigh in pics. Or get in there with him myself and have him hit me a couple of times.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post

He has he same defense that grandpa johnson has. He rolls great with punches when he is on the inside he just sometimes gets careless. In the weng fight he got caught but ass soon as that happened he tightened his defense and boxed beautifully. In the lopez fight he was catching alot of the punches on the inside lopez was throwing while comming back with harder looping shots of his own

Comment

Originally posted by apocalypto View Post
              He has he same defense that grandpa johnson has. He rolls great with punches when he is on the inside he just sometimes gets careless. In the weng fight he got caught but ass soon as that happened he tightened his defense and boxed beautifully. In the lopez fight he was catching alot of the punches on the inside lopez was throwing while comming back with harder looping shots of his own
              My guess is that Salido fought down to Weng. It's not uncommon with athletes (or people in general). Sometimes a non-threatening opponent can really make you drop your guard, thinking it's gonna be an easy night. "Siri" is gonna bring it tomorrow night. He knows Mikey's a real threat to what he's built for himself. If he loses, Orlando's going out on his shield. Bet that!

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                My guess is that Salido fought down to Weng. It's not uncommon with athletes (or people in general). Sometimes a non-threatening opponent can really make you drop your guard, thinking it's gonna be an easy night. "Siri" is gonna bring it tomorrow night. He knows Mikey's a real threat to what he's built for himself. If he loses, Orlando's going out on his shield. Bet that!
                Love that weng fight he showed his class in that fight despite getting dropped hard. My only concern his salido running into a punch which can happen. But if he fights a disciplined fight he has this in the bag. He sounds like he is confident and with a good gameplan

Comment

Originally posted by apocalypto View Post
                  Love that weng fight he showed his class in that fight despite getting dropped hard. My only concern his salido running into a punch which can happen. But if he fights a disciplined fight he has this in the bag. He sounds like he is confident and with a good gameplan
                  Salido is going to get hit. His defense is underrated perhaps, but it's still a fight, and he's very aggressive. I can see Orlando on the canvass at least once in this bout. But he won't be there long. He'll climb off, as he always has, and test Mikey's will over and over. That's where Salido will win this fight. Garcia will get hit in return and go down, eventually. This is going to be a war. No doubt about it. Salido's been there, done that; Mikey hasn't. Who would you bet on to make it out alive?

Comment

I agree it completely depends on which Salido comes to fight. If he can make the young Garcia uncomfortable from the start and lands some big shots I think he's got a real shot at retaining his title. I'm rooting for Salido but I think in the end Garcia's technique wins it by UD.

Comment

Working...
                    X