No announcement yet.

Bikes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bikes

Who here rides bikes? Im looking into getting myself one. I've recebtly had knee work done and have gone through physical therapy but always wondered what else can be done. When I ran into yuri at gleasons he also told me I should get into riding.because it strengthens the muscles around the knee. Figure I would give it a shot especially since ive heard from a few people now it's great for post knee surgery recovery. So aside from the knee work I will get with cycling. Who else here rides and what gains/experiences have you seen from it?

Usually I go on a bike ride if I don't feel like training/have overtrained. They are also good therapeutically to help you relive stress.

Comment

Make sure you finish your PT and yes, the bike is good. Also . Try an elliptical.

Comment

I think swimming is more beneficial personally.

Comment

You need to give us a bit more information mate. Are you talking about on or off road cycling because both will help with different things ? Also how many km's and how hard would you be planning to do ?

Comment

I ride as much as I can. I've torn my achilles and had bad knees. I feel like biking has strengthened my legs and has improved the air capacity in my lungs.

by the way, most people that don't know **** about biking go with mountain bikes that they see at the local retail store like walmart.

I prefer a road bike(bikes with thinner wheels) because they are faster. mountain bikes are slow and will not give you as good of a workout.
            Last edited by the traveler; 05-12-2011, 04:42 AM.

Comment

I've been riding the 5 miles to work and back, plus the approx 5 miles to the gym 3 times a week for the past month or so. I can definatly feel my leg muscles getting stronger. As someone said above i think swimming would be better for you at this stage and then mabye try some riding after a couple of months.

Comment

Figure about 5 miles to work and 5 miles back, on road, I've for a road bike, I basically need it to steven my knee since I've had recent knee work and from what I hear cycling is gos to build the muscles around the knee for stability. So far so good though can't complain except for the fact that at the beginning I would get to work our home and my knew would feel like jello

Comment

It really does. I don't think it has any negative affects, either, because I biked when my legs were ****ed up and the only thing that happened was that my legs got stronger. don't overdo it though.

Comment

Yes, i've heard from a couple people already that I shouldn't overdo it, basically like overtraining and worse with the fact im still rehabing this knee. But so far so good, I really feel like the stability is coming back. I figure i'll start riding every other day in hopes that I can recuperate much faster

Comment

Working...
                    X