McCloskey defending Euro belt against Morrison

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCloskey defending Euro belt against Morrison

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8924211.stm

Paul McCloskey will defend his European light-welterweight title against Barry Morrison in Letterkenny on 2 October.

The Dungiven boxer, who is unbeaten in 21 professional fights to date, will be hoping to successfully defend his crown for a second time.

Morrison has won 18 of his 22 fights to date but a win for McCloskey could pave the way for a world title shot.

McCloskey stopped Italian Giuseppe Lauri in the 11th round of his previous defence at the King's Hall on 11 June.

McCloskey says he is delighted to be returning to Letterkenny to defend his title against former British champion Morrison.

"I know all about Morrison, we came up through the amateurs together and he was generally at the same international tournaments as me so I'm very familiar with him," explained McCloskey.

"He's a good fighter, he's strong, very tough and is solid in pretty much everything he does but obviously I believe that I have the tools to do a job on him.

"I was nowhere near my best in my last fight at the King's Hall - I was annoyed with my performance so I'll be looking to put on a much better display of boxing in Letterkenny.

"The main thing though was that I won and kept the belt but you are going to have nights like that when you are dragged into a war and you literally have to fight your way out of it.

"People have questioned my power but I've finished 11 of my 21 opponents inside the distance so I must have some kind of power.

"I've always believed that if you hit people clean enough and often enough on the chin then no matter who they are you have a chance of knocking them out and that's what happened with Lauri," added McCloskey.

In the chief supporting contest, unbeaten Cavan star Andy Murray faces a major step up in class as he takes on Johnny Nolasco from the Dominican Republic

I hope he improves on his last performance, it wasnt great to say the least. This should be easy enough for him. Also i read that he is ranked 4th on the WBC rankings so he's not far of getting a shot at a world title. I know he wants to fight Khan (who at 140 doesnt?) but Im sure he'd take a fight against Alexander. (Morales is ranked at 2, i would love it of Morales came to Belfast for a fight, even an old Morales just to see him)

Cant wait to see Murray fighting again great talent think its on tv

Comment

Originally posted by any craic lad? View Post
      Cant wait to see Murray fighting again great talent think its on tv
      Read on bbc sport too that Frampton is fighting in September. He's fighting against Yuriy Voronin (who fought Dunne)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8902693.stm

Comment

Originally posted by gingeralbino View Post
        Read on bbc sport too that Frampton is fighting in September. He's fighting against Yuriy Voronin (who fought Dunne)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8902693.stm
        Mccguigan is talking that Frampton kid up alot havent seen him fight yet though should be a good test for him.The 3 cubans are also fighting on the undercard.To be fair to Peters he puts together some good cards

Comment

Working...
        X