No announcement yet.

offensive footwork question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• offensive footwork question

A lot of people say don't walk someone down in a straight line come in angles and don't walk straight forward but exactly how do you do this? Can someone elaborate this and provide an example? It seems when watching fights (boxing) people come straight forward but I may be wrong. Trying to get a better idea of good technical offensive footwork

i think what they mean is to just incorporate slips, ducks, feints, head movement when trying to go forward.

Comment

Typically, in boxing, you work in a circle. Not back and forth, not side to side, but in a circle. Controlling that circle allows you to punch from angles, instead of standing right in front of an opponent, in range all the time, and taking turns punching at one another.
      If you are trying to cut the ring off, you need to step over and interrupt the arc of the other guy's circle. To make him stand in front of you and trade punches. In most recent fights- and I don't watch much modern boxing, several years now-that I have seen, just about everything happens in straight lines.

Comment

all I know is Tyson went str8 in for the kill lol

Comment

angels and pivots are offensively keeping the other fighter off balance.. . Learn how to cut the ring off and if you one of those bulls that comes straight forward be decisive then get the hell out of the way be smart... I will try to find some Youtube videos that break down what i am trying to say.

Comment

I believe the info you are confusing is that you shouldn't go BACKWARDS in a straight line. Of course when most boxers attack, they come forward.

I mean, you don't see boxers jump side to side in a forward motion..lol

You can take angles off of combo's, basically stepping off of shots at an angle but I think you're confusing you're footwork going backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by shs101 View Post
              A lot of people say don't walk someone down in a straight line come in angles and don't walk straight forward but exactly how do you do this? Can someone elaborate this and provide an example? It seems when watching fights (boxing) people come straight forward but I may be wrong. Trying to get a better idea of good technical offensive footwork
              Are you specifically referring to cutting off the ring? When closing the distance between an opponent,using angles to turn the opponent rather then pursue in a straight line, in order to corner limiting the space to escape.

Comment

Working...
              X