Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Rios vs. Alvarado as good as Gatti vs. Ward?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Rios vs. Alvarado as good as Gatti vs. Ward?

Just finished watching it on HBO's Best of 2012. What a war.

hell nah foo

Comment

They will never be Gatti Ward, but have the potential to make a great legacy for themselves. If the second fight gets signed in the near future, I imagine it will be better than the first. Then I think we can assume there will be a third.

Comment

I honestly think it was. Factoring in the ko & all.

Comment

Not even close

Comment

Great fight, but nope

Comment

For you guys saying no, what made Gatti vs. Ward better in your opinion? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by PinoyNation View Post
                For you guys saying no, what made Gatti vs. Ward better in your opinion? Just curious.
                Round 9 of Gatti-Ward. Historically one of the greatest rounds of all-time. Tips the scales.

Rios-Alvarado's early ending kept it from reaching that kind of greatness.

Comment

Not even close. It was too monotonous. There was no major back and forth, ups and downs. It seemed to flow along at one pace, albeit a very fast, good pace, without any dramatic turns until the sudden KO.

It was a great fight, don't get me wrong. Certainly up there as a FOTY, but up against the greatest fights, it really doesn't do it for me at all.

They both battled it out evenly, without anything surprising happening.

To me, it just didn't have the surprise, the ups and downs, the back and forth action from one guy to the next that Gatti/Ward had.

It seemed like Alvarado kind of kept his neck out in front just the tiniest bit until he got KTFO.

Comment

Originally posted by PinoyNation View Post
                    Just finished watching it on HBO's Best of 2012. What a war.
                    Rios-Alverado fight was much better, a far higher level. Gatti and Ward were 2 washed up old pugs who made a bash-crash first fight (their next 2 weren't much) which Roman Arena blood-thirsty mobs loved. Ward retired after the 3d fight, in which they hardly threw punches. Ward had double vision from the first fight.

They got very ordinary pay for their first fight, but a million each for the second, which was a real anticlimax. Don't know about the 3rd, but the million was a far, far more than Ward had made in his whole career of nearly 20 years. I feel that his Emanual Augustus fight was far better, more skill and at least as much action, rather than the cowboy movie 1st fight.
                    Last edited by edgarg; 12-30-2012, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X