No announcement yet.

Duk Koo Kim

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duk Koo Kim

I again watched the Ray Mancini - Duk Koo Kim bout and every time I do I am impressed with Kims aggression and heart, his skills not the material of a champion but still what heart.

For 14 rounds he warred with a man whoseemed to be specificaly built and bread for that kind of fight grueling battle. It was only by an inch that Mancini had missed with a bomb off a left hook and then steps in delvering a straight Right hand down the pipe. Kim absorbed the blow and it sent him falling to the canvas.

Now heres the thing, I watched as Kim fell and it seems to me that his head would have hit the rope on his descent causing a whip like affect when his shoulders hit the canvas. His head had to of smacked hard upon the apron. There is a ridge in the back of your skull that forms when your skull comes together as a fetus. That ridge would have cut directly into Kims brain. Has anybody ever heard of an autopsey report, I am curious to find out where they located the damage in Kims brain. It might not have been the battering of Ray's fists alone..........Rockin'

I don't know Rockin', I remember watching the fight and reading the coverage in newspapers and boxing magazines and don't remember any report of an autopsy. I believe Kim's body was sent back home to South Korea and any autopsy might have been done there. But I am not positive about this.

Comment

About hitting the rope.

I know Davey Moore(featherweight) died after his bout with Luis Ramos in 1963 after his head caught on the bottom rope when he was knocked down.
      This is what boxr@c notes say:
      "Moore dies two days later of a whiplash to his brain stem after his neck struck the bottom rope of a three-rope ring during this bout"

That incident resulted in the rules changing, padded ropes and a fouth rope was added. And for awhile the bottom rope was supposed to be looser but I don't know if they still do that.
      Last edited by TBear; 05-05-2011, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        I again watched the Ray Mancini - Duk Koo Kim bout and every time I do I am impressed with Kims aggression and heart, his skills not the material of a champion but still what heart.

For 14 rounds he warred with a man whoseemed to be specificaly built and bread for that kind of fight grueling battle. It was only by an inch that Mancini had missed with a bomb off a left hook and then steps in delvering a straight Right hand down the pipe. Kim absorbed the blow and it sent him falling to the canvas.

Now heres the thing, I watched as Kim fell and it seems to me that his head would have hit the rope on his descent causing a whip like affect when his shoulders hit the canvas. His head had to of smacked hard upon the apron. There is a ridge in the back of your skull that forms when your skull comes together as a fetus. That ridge would have cut directly into Kims brain. Has anybody ever heard of an autopsey report, I am curious to find out where they located the damage in Kims brain. It might not have been the battering of Ray's fists alone..........Rockin'
        This is one of my all time favorite fights.

RIP Kim.

Comment

I've never had the guts to watch it, but I've read a lot of articles on the fight. I've never seen any reference to an autopsy performed.

Just now I did a little google gymnastics, but again came up empty handed. I only found a doctors account that stated that there was an immidiate severe bleeding on the brains surface'. So nothing on WHY the bleeding occurred.

The article is here: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3105787

It's worth reading as it also goes in-depth on the subsequent change of the championship distance.

Comment

Had Kim been less resilient and warlike, he'd survive. He'd give up before the 14th round for sure, if not even sooner. Good old Boom Boom, nothing could ever bring him down...except for monstrous punchers like Arguello. But Arguello was an ATG, a complete package. And Ray was still very young.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

I've also read that Kim dried himself out to make weight and when a person is in a dehydrated state the brain is more vulnerable to trauma.

Poet

Comment

Filled with sadness. His mother and the referee commited suicide.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                  Filled with sadness. His mother and the referee commited suicide.

As tragic as the end of Kim's life was I find it even more tragic his Mother couldn't muster the strength to Carry on, and that the ref felt so much guilt he chose to take his own life. Very, very sad.

Comment

Working...
                  X