No announcement yet.

After a 6 Month layoff

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After a 6 Month layoff

How long should you wait before having a fight?

I havent been in the ring or trained since my last fight in may.. In nov. I plan on getting back in the gym, so roughly how long should I wait before taking a fight?

I know im out of shape, since I havent ran or nothing since may..but im asking how long so I can set a goal, and get a fight by my goal date

Hard to tell really. Depends on how rusty you are, technically, how fast you regain your fitness, and where you are weight wise.

Edit: Your trainer should be able to asses this much more accurately than anyone online.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
      Hard to tell really. Depends on how rusty you are, technically, how fast you regain your fitness, and where you are weight wise.

Edit: Your trainer should be able to asses this much more accurately than anyone online.

I already kno how he is, after 2 weeks he will say "yea panther your ready, jus gotta get that stamina up, but yeah you'll be ready for the next competition" I think he say stuff jus to say it lol...

Right now I weigh about 155-60. Im use to being 144 walk around, and fight night

Comment

Originally posted by McAlister View Post
        I already kno how he is, after 2 weeks he will say "yea panther your ready, jus gotta get that stamina up, but yeah you'll be ready for the next competition" I think he say stuff jus to say it lol...

Right now I weigh about 155-60. Im use to being 144 walk around, and fight night
        I guess the question you gotta ask yourself is; does your coach know what he's talking about?

I guess the weight issue will be a limiting factor. You'll have to get near your fighting weight before you can think about fighting again.

Comment

It's good your coach has a positive attitude towards your fitness. You must be a hard worker and he knows it. Depends more on how you feel. I came back after about 6 months off and was back in the ring fighting in a couple months. Depends on how hard and often your traing and as Punch Drunk says how quickly your can get your wind back.

I was off for 6 months but I wasn't a couch potato the whole time.

Comment

I've had many layoffs in my career. After a layoff I would spend at minimum no less then 6 weeks in the gym before even thinking about getting a fight.

Comment

Nice pad work

Comment

Originally posted by McAlister View Post

My only advice is don't get into it to fast. Its easy to jump back in too quick and come up with an injury.

Comment

Kind of off-topic, but why the long lay-off?

Comment

Originally posted by sukhenkoy View Post
                    Kind of off-topic, but why the long lay-off?

Got a place wit my girl, started working full time... and moved further away from the gym

Comment

Working...
                    X