• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P George Benton

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
    I just received this from John DiSanto:

All,
    George Benton died this morning, September 19, 2011 at 3:40 AM, at St. Joseph’s Hospital in North Philly. He had been in the hospital the past few weeks battling pneumonia, although I am not certain of the official cause of death. No funeral arrangements have been made yet, but I will keep you posted once I hear.

Benton was a great fighter, trainer, and one of the true legends of Philadelphia boxing. He will be greatly missed.

Below is a link to my obituary of Benton, which was run on PhillyBoxngHistory.com this morning.

http://www.phillyboxinghistory.com/f..._passes_01.htm

Thank you,
    John DiSanto
    Philly Boxing History (.com)
    609-377-6413
    johndisanto@comcast.net
    R.I.P, Legend, such a great man and trainer.

Wishes go out to his family.

Bump.

Are people really more interested in recycling ****e about some ****ing punch and this ***** and ******* garbage then paying their respects to a legend ?. Really ?.

Not many people have gave more to the sport then Georgie did, an extremely skilled boxer in the 60s who's career was cut short when he was shot in 1970, that didn't stop him as he then went on to be a great trainer, training Pernell Whitaker, Evander Holyfield, Meldrick Taylor, Mike McCallum, Michael Moorer and many more.

Oh my bad, his name isn't Floyd so who gives a ****.

RIP 'Professor' Georgie. You great man.

Comment

No way!!

R.I.P George Benton one of my all time favourites! I'm going to put him back as my Avy now.

Comment

I'll admit I'm not too familiar with Benton as a fighter (though I remember hearing that Duva screwed him out of a title shot, so correct me if I'm wrong), but he was a damn good trainer.

RIP

Comment

Deepest condolencses on the loss of George Benton. The lack of news on his demise only goes to show why so many boxers don't give a 5hit for fans. Far too often these so-called fans are too quick to label a boxer a bum or a hype job when they take a loss. You've got to give massive respect to anyone who steps into the ring and puts their life on the line to support their family and attempt to make a better life for themselves. Even more respect shuld be given to the likes of George Benton who took many punches in their time then make a career teaching boxing and life's lessons to those who come after him. Massive respect to George Benton RIP and commiserations to his family.

Comment

George Benton RIP. A truly great and valued member of the boxing fraternity, and a symbol of the great boxing history synonymous with the city of brotherly love.

Comment

Rest in peace George Benton. Its a shame theres not more news about it, unbelievable.
              Last edited by Brockton Lip; 09-19-2011, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X