No announcement yet.

Hardest punching featherweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
    I told you already, coz he stopped Chacon twice and hurt Arguello. Weak punchers don't do that, y'know.

not being a weak puncher and being in the top ten of all time in one of boxing's greatest divisions are completely different beasts

he's just not there, dude
    you can roll your eyes all you want
    nobody of repute (writers and historians and boxing people) has him in their top ten punchers at FW, for what that's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      I saw the first two Olivares-Chacon fights live. Olivares did hurt the inexperienced Chacon in the first fight and made him quit in his corner. However Chacon was beaten on the scales for the second one and basically just fell apart in the ring. Olivares certainly was a good puncher at 126, but nowhere near the monster he was at 118, and nowhere near the best ever at featherweight.

live as in you were there?

and cosign the entire post

olivares looked stubby and beyond his weight at 126
      he started his career at 112
      i'm not taking anything away from him when i call him an ATG top ten puncher at BW (probably top 5 if i really want to sort things out, easy)
      and not an ATG at FW

sorry, pastrami
      but you are wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post
        Pacquiao has gotta be on this list given how he's moved up.
        I don't agree. You rate the guy on how hard he punched at the particular weight class in a thread like this.

Carrying his power up in weight gives him lb4lb power consideration, not anything extra for a division he left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          live as in you were there?
          I was at ringside for the first fight and saw the second one live on closed circuit. I remember driving (for over an hour) to Orange County during Friday rush hour traffic to see the rematch, and leaving almost as soon as I got there after Chacon's pathetic performance. I made the same trip to see Quarry-Shavers closed circuit, and we all know how that turned out. So you won't hear me complaining about PPV. At least you don't have to travel like in the "good old days".
          Last edited by Scott9945; 07-08-2011, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
            Im just making the point that it was tougher to look good against the guys Pac faced. Hamed's res is aight but there are many fights he could have taken but knew better.
            I'm not sure there were that many. Besides, Hamed was still fairly young. He had all the time in the world to fight. Or so he thought. His decline set in perhaps five years earlier than it should have done. And the deterioration was rapid.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              I really don't know much about him to be honest, but any fighter who could beat a prime Abe Attell had to be good. I would appreciate any education you can give me on him though.
              I dont know too much myself but i intend to research him properly in the very near future. I read an article on him a while back that for some reason made a fan out of me, from what i gather he was an absaloute Maestro in there, a wizard! He didnt actually BEAT Attell as it was back in the days when u needed a KO to win but by all newspaper accounts Driscoll schooled him severly! And Peerless Jim was a man of his word and of honour because rather than take on Abe on a lucrative rematch that he'd be favoured to take the FW crown in he set sail for Wales much to the disapointment of the American fight fans who loved a brawl but had fallen for Driscoll's slick moves, he did this purely because he had promised to attend an exhibition match in aid of an Orphanage back home, Jim was apparently Loved and was seen as a hero in Wales, there still stands a statue of him outside his old club which i think went up in the 90's. I know he also had a few scraps with his freind or former friend Freddie Welsh, the first a no contest that was apparently foul filled and led to the pair falling out, the second time around Jim was DQ'd for headbutting Welsh but im of the understanding these fights were very close. I will try and look out that article because it was a good read, and if u have any other info on Driscoll it would be appreciated Jab, cheers

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                I don't agree. You rate the guy on how hard he punched at the particular weight class in a thread like this.

Carrying his power up in weight gives him lb4lb power consideration, not anything extra for a division he left behind.
                He had monster power at FW. His moving up just added kudos.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                  I dont know too much myself but i intend to research him properly in the very near future. I read an article on him a while back that for some reason made a fan out of me, from what i gather he was an absaloute Maestro in there, a wizard! He didnt actually BEAT Attell as it was back in the days when u needed a KO to win but by all newspaper accounts Driscoll schooled him severly! And Peerless Jim was a man of his word and of honour because rather than take on Abe on a lucrative rematch that he'd be favoured to take the FW crown in he set sail for Wales much to the disapointment of the American fight fans who loved a brawl but had fallen for Driscoll's slick moves, he did this purely because he had promised to attend an exhibition match in aid of an Orphanage back home, Jim was apparently Loved and was seen as a hero in Wales, there still stands a statue of him outside his old club which i think went up in the 90's. I know he also had a few scraps with his freind or former friend Freddie Welsh, the first a no contest that was apparently foul filled and led to the pair falling out, the second time around Jim was DQ'd for headbutting Welsh but im of the understanding these fights were very close. I will try and look out that article because it was a good read, and if u have any other info on Driscoll it would be appreciated Jab, cheers
                  Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes open for more.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post
                    He had monster power at FW. His moving up just added kudos.
                    .....to his lb4lb puncher status.

Roberto Duran wasn't half the puncher above 135 that he was at that weight....should that mean we take away from how hard he punched at 135? Of course not, so you don't add to a guy's status at at one particular weight, either.

Comment

Its quite clearly Naz for me. He just sparked guys cold and from angles that dont even make sense!

Comment

Working...
                      X