Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain to me how boxing has "evolved" since the middle the last century

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain to me how boxing has "evolved" since the middle the last century

Because I'm just not seeing it.

Fighters in the "old days":
    -Sparred
    -Did roadwork
    -Hit the heavy bag, speed bag, and double-end bag
    -Eat right

Modern fighters:
    -Spar
    -Do roadwork
    -Eat right, as much as is possible given that most foods are processed or covered with chemicals
    -Some weight training

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post

-Sparred
    -Did roadwork
    -Eat right

Modern fighters:
    -Spar
    -Do roadwork
    -Eat right, as much as is possible given that most foods are processed or covered with chemicals
    -Some weight training
    It hasn't. It has devolved in the sense fighters don't fight as often and the sport (at least in the US) is not as popular, which causes there to be less gyms and less quality fighters.

Comment

Barry McGuigan offers a challenging view:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more-s...5875-23081192/

I don't necessarily agree but have at it.

Comment

The same way all other sports have, technology has, architecture has and everything else. Its just illogical to think other wise. Things evolve with more knowledge that is how the world works.
        moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

From that article,

"We understand also in a way we never did the relationship between body fat and muscle, and how that impacts on power.

The result is a bigger, leaner, stronger athlete at the weight"

this is basically my point in a nutshell
          moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

-Sparred
            -Did roadwork
            -Eat right

Modern fighters:
            -Spar
            -Do roadwork
            -Some weight training
            No one can, because it hasn't. No one can articulate the new Boxing techniques they so often talk about, because they're aren't any in the fighting craft. Mayweather look any better physically than Robinson to you? Nope, because they do largely the same things.

Comment

-Sparred
              -Did roadwork
              -Eat right

Modern fighters:
              -Spar
              -Do roadwork
              -Some weight training
              evolution does not mean an improvement, in the human world evolution usuallly means something comporable but easier to do.

in the human world we have evolved from analog to digital....is digital better then analog? absolutely not...is it easier to deal with? of course.

the sport of boxing has evolved into 30 min of running with sprints instead of an hour or 2 the sport of boxing has evolved to an hour in the gym and an hour lifting weights instead of 3 hours at the gym and an hour sparring. the sport of boxing as evolved to 3 fights a year at most instead of 10+.

the sport of boxing has evolved so people dont have to work as hard....but of course they arnt as good.

the sport of boxing has evolved too fast twitch muscle sounds fast....and why would i run for 2 hours when i can run for 30 mins.....most people dont even have a clue why boxers run for 6+ miles at a decent pace....but their going to go and tell you its bad....
              Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 04-25-2011, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                From that article,

"We understand also in a way we never did the relationship between body fat and muscle, and how that impacts on power.

The result is a bigger, leaner, stronger athlete at the weight"

this is basically my point in a nutshell
                "To be honest Ken, I don't think I can run at this pace."

"Away you go, son. Away you go," he said.

He ran for an hour at that pace in military style boots. That was the way it was done. He sparred my head off mind you.

so instead of saying hey i should run longer distanes at a slower pace the guy says ohhhhh I need to RUN in BOOTS?????WTF and then decideds that running in boots is bad Thus confiriming that long slow distance is bad......boxing has evolved into utter stupidity and ignorance.
                Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 04-25-2011, 11:06 PM.

Comment

LOL I'm surprised you people believe in the internet. Why not just send a messenger back and forth to each other's houses and dicuss boxing that way.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                    LOL I'm surprised you people believe in the internet. Why not just send a messenger back and forth to each other's houses and dicuss boxing that way.
                    phones > internet

speaking to some one to have a conversation > typeing to some one to have a conversation

Comment

Working...
                    X