No announcement yet.

Small hands = lower punch impact?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small hands = lower punch impact?

Itīs kind of an awkward question, but do you goys think that the size of a boxerīs hand affects the impact on the target? Some guys at the gym are lightweights but they got these huge freakin hands that look like rocks lol....my hands for example arenīt that big for a middleweight. Do you think it affects during striking?

Not at all, Miguel Cotto for example has little ass hands compared to most of his opponents, turn your body to get the power you're looking for, it's in the technique and torque of the punch to have a greater impact, not the size of your hands.

Comment

all things being equal, of course. mass, speed = power.

all you can do is use superior technique to make up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
        yeah light = less power BUT smaller surface area means higher force/impact.

Could also argue that the bigger fist will be slower as it takes more force to move and therefore less power.

Overall I wouldn't worry about it. With gloves - fist size is close enough to equal. Any advantage in weight can't be helped and I doubt it's the deciding factor in too many fights.

Comment

there is some advantage to big hands forearms in swing whip effect punches..But I think its a pretty small advantage. More importantly I think larger hands distribute the force more allowing you to do more hard punching without hurting your hands..This practice is What I think give's the big handed guys punch more whollup. Get good heavy Bag gloves wrap well or get those gel wrap gloves then you will be able to practice a lot to..

Comment

small hands lighter faster good for fast combos volume puncher... big hands heavier slower bad for combination more for 1punch KO.

Comment

nah. julian jackson & prince naz arguably were the hardest punchers in boxing history and their hands were average sized. definitely not "big". its all about technique. and when you put gloves on the size of your hand doesnt really matter anyway because it doesnt have any effect on your punching power

Comment

Small Hands

Most of the pros have huge hands. That being said, Jake LaMotta, Nino Benvenutti, and Emile Griffith had small hands. I myself have "little girlie" hands at quit amateur boxing with a record of 16-2. I did a lot of grip work to build them up -- best grippers in the world come from IronMind (google them) and look at their amazing hand strength devices. Are small hands good? No, but they can be overcome. If I had my choice, I would have picked large ones, but the grab bag of genetics decided I would not.

Comment

heavy handed guys do ususally have bigger and better bones in the hands
                  arms
                  and wrists.

look at victor ortiz
                  marcos maidana
                  hell, even amir khan has big mitts

and all those guys are hard punching jr ww

and will likely finish their careers at ww or jr mw

true power punchers generate power from the ground up and through the snap in the punch
                  it's intuitive
                  they were born with the ability to produce the motion effectively

but heavy bones on a smaller guy (say big hands on a lightweight)
                  arent going to hurt anybody's punching power

a big heavy handed dude isnt going to be garanteed to be a big puncher
                  but it helps. especially hitting a heavybag. the bag doesnt hit back
                  Last edited by New England; 04-07-2011, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post

all you can do is use superior technique to make up for it.

i havnt been in a physics class in over a decade i'd say

but isnt power:

Work / Time

(energy converted) / any unit of time

i believe your equation doesnt take into account accelleration

unless you're talking about speed in terms of the time it takes to do the work with said mass, and not speed as in the velocity of the object or mass.

the important aspect of the theory that power is work over time is "Time," and it's location a the bottom of the equation

time effects power exponentially
                    in other words it's more imporant than mass

a gigantic man moving slow as molasses is going to do much less damage (show lower amounts of power,) than a small man moving fast as **** with leverage, and accelerating through a target.

Comment

Working...
                    X