No announcement yet.

Yoga and Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoga and Boxing

i remember roy jones jr. back in his prime talking about how he did yoga and other combat athletes mentioning this as well...

now ive never been one too interested in yoga as i only knew of dhalsim from street fighter blowing yoga fireballs and yoga flames...but seriously, does anyone know of any major benefits yoga may have for a training fighter and a general citizen overall?

Yoga is very often overlooked by athletes. More specifically male athletes because Yoga can seem very gay upon first glance.

There are different types of Yoga and some are more intensive than others.

I used to do it a couple times per week.

From what I noticed

-Improved Flexibility & Dexterity
    -Improved Balance
    -Improved Core Strength
    -Relaxation
    -Relief of Stress (both physical and mental)

It can be very beneficial

Comment

Originally posted by SwoleBiceps View Post
      Yoga is very often overlooked by athletes. More specifically male athletes because Yoga can seem very gay upon first glance.

There are different types of Yoga and some are more intensive than others.

I used to do it a couple times per week.

From what I noticed

-Improved Flexibility & Dexterity
      -Improved Balance
      -Improved Core Strength
      -Relaxation
      -Relief of Stress (both physical and mental)

It can be very beneficial
      I would also like to add fine womenz

Comment

Originally posted by Don Flamenco View Post
        I would also like to add fine womenz
        LOL, my bro was taking those classes and ended up banging his teacher, fine woman.

Comment

roy jones never did yoga...

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyman View Post
            i remember roy jones jr. back in his prime talking about how he did yoga and other combat athletes mentioning this as well...

now ive never been one too interested in yoga as i only knew of dhalsim from street fighter blowing yoga fireballs and yoga flames...but seriously, does anyone know of any major benefits yoga may have for a training fighter and a general citizen overall?

Funny, I was thinking about making a thread just like this. I really reccomend yoga, its really effective. My entire body is stretched, all my joints are kept in good condition. My breathing gets deep and into a zone. I'm getting older, not younger so yoga has been really helpful. What I notice maybe the most is how I'm able to really open up and stretch my hips, which helps a lot. Balance poses have also been really helpful, they've helped me learn how to slot my weight properly when throwing punches.

Comment

Would anyone recommend a certain type of yoga for a younger person (I'm 14) that could benefit me greatly ? If possible tell me where I could get it (I live in Australia)\

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by XJabCrossX View Post
                Would anyone recommend a certain type of yoga for a younger person (I'm 14) that could benefit me greatly ? If possible tell me where I could get it (I live in Australia)\

Thank you
                Just start with basic poses, google these:

sun salutation, downward dog, forward bend, warrior pose, triangle pose, child pose, corpse pose.

Because you are young, you have better flexibilty, but your tendons and such are still growing - so don't push your limbs too hard or you could mess yourself up.

If you get a chance, take a class. Look around your community there might be a class. Keep in mind it'll probably be 90% women, at the very least, which isn't exactly a bad thing.

I've taken 2 yoga classes in my life, both times I was the only guy. For some reason, most males have a problem with that - as if stretching, relaxing and breathing deeply around a bunch of women is a bad thing [take a class @ a college if possible, think: college girls+yoga=a good thing]. If you have hangups about yourself, I guess this will be a problem. This is a problem I fail to understand, which is weird because I'm not exactly the most confident person. I think this is a big part of the reason Yoga is thought of as a women thing or somethin here in the West. Its stupid, and annoying - if I ever pick up a Yoga book, magazine or website, its always these lame dumb looking white women, right now Yoga is exclusively marketed toward suburban female idiots. Personally, boxing is not possible for me without doing yoga. I know I'd have messed up my joints tendons and muscles a lot more without doing this stuff.

Although a class is great (just like learning boxing from an actual trainer) you can learn on your own:

http://yoga.about.com/

Comment

I was actually planning on giving yoga a go to help with relaxing my injured neck muscles after I got head****ed at wrestling practice.. I hadn't considered that it would also have benefits to my boxing

EDIT: wtf man it blanks out s-p-i-k even when its part of the word s-p-i-ke :s

Comment

Would be cool if you lived in Hong Kong or China, I was watching Globe Trekker the other day and they had free yoga classes in the city parks in Hong Kong in the mornings. Would be a good way to start the day I bet.

Comment

Working...
                    X