Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones fights these 1930's heavies

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- -nothing wrong with Roy skills, but what we saw in his prime were specific skills used to supplement his one off athletic skills. A carpenter seldom needs every tool in his box to complete a project.

Very few fighters have such physical and mental advantages to leverage one of the alltime championship runs.

And don't worry Rusty, we ain't taking away your steroids and hack fighter mentality. Ain't yer fault you grew up steeped in drugs and tabloid media that shaped your formative years.
    Last edited by QueensburyRules; 03-24-2019, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
      RJJ VS
      Primo Carnera
      Max Schmeling
      Max Baer
      Jack Sharkey
      James J Braddock
      Tony Galento

How does he do against these men?
      I can't imagine a fight with Canera. I just don't get a mental picture.

Against Schmeling it would be interesting with Jones probably winning. But lets not forget that Schmeling found a weakness in the most technically perfect punching machine perhaps, to some...ever.

If Maxie catches Jones once its all over. Baer was not slow of foot either. It sort of depends what Baer we are talking about. If the Baer that brained a man and does not want to hurt another shows up easy night for Jones, if Maxie really goes after Jones... Different story. people forget that Baer had perhaps the hardest right in boxing history. or one of the hardest rights. And again his feet were not slow. All he has to do is find Jones once really.

jack Sharkey Great fighter but Jones is faster and just gifted naturally enough to stay away from jack.

Braddock could not deal with Jones' speed.

Galento! Roy don't want that smoke... Roy gets battered. Galento would really hurt Jones. One of the most chronically underestimated fighters in heavyweight history. The guy was strong as an ox, could throw punches all day and night and was relentless. As a matter of fact Galento is the virtual blueprint to destroy Jones...Keep on top of him and get into a position where he cannot extend into his leaping hooks, and use his hand speed. Galento is willing to take three to get one, and thats more than enough... Lets look at Galento:

Great chin
      Excellent Stamina
      Relentless pursuit
      Good power Not great
      Excellent inside fighter

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
        Roy might decision braddock and galento. if sharkey, schmeling and baer can hit roy he gets stopped. if baer shows up motivated he stretches roy out on the canvas. i don't know about carnera, was he that much better than john ruiz?

i agree with the old hooker, johanssen would beat roy, he's lucky we aren't picking hws from the 1950's to beat him. i think one of the worst of these fantasy hw matchups for jones would be floyd patterson, because of his speed and power i think he'd really F jones up
        Great match up and yes Floyd would show the difference between a fast heavyweight and one trying for low hanging fruit.

Comment

- -Seems Roy couldn't beat his weak sister in the 30s according to the usual suspects.

Yeah, revise modern history , what moderns do best!

Roy would be infinitely better than anyone Patterson ever faced until his Liston disaster, after which he had to remake his style and rebuild his always fragile mental state. That post Liston fighter would be the only Floyd who could possibly beat Roy, but of course some in this lot want to match the prime, best ever fighters against a 40 yr old Roy, the last refuge of scoundrels.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
            - -nothing wrong with Roy skills, but what we saw in his prime were specific skills used to supplement his one off athletic skills. A carpenter seldom needs every tool in his box to complete a project.
            Wow! Good thing I'm not allergic to Chutzpah! This would have sent me into anaphylactic shock! I know this place feels like a pissing contest for who can make the most absurd comment, but let's have some self-respect.

Those tools you mention are the essential ones. They call it Boxing Fundamentals for a reason. Conn not running in the last few rounds against Louis. Patterson looking a little lost against Maxim. Floyd struggling w/ Castillo's pressure... those are instances of fighters earning our forgiveness for their short-comings. Times when fighters didn't have every tool in the bag to pull out the win.

Roid Jones would be the guy to hand you a wrench when you asked for a screwdriver.

Very few fighters have such physical and mental advantages to leverage one of the alltime championship runs.
            Very few fighters fought in a generation so absent of talent: anybody who was anyone of note as a High School athlete had put his energy into Baseball or Football... or Basketball, Wrestling or Swimming. Boxing wasn't really a primary interest, as it had been in decades past.

On top of that, Roy was coddled. He was brought up through the amateurs. Something guys like Billy Conn, Sal Sanchez, Carlos Monzon, and even Bernard Hopkins didn't have.

W/o the Roids and w/ stiffer competition, the dude's aurora evaporates. He was dangerous, but not on the level of others. Hell, tell me what makes him better than Chavez or Whitaker. I've got all day.

And don't worry Rusty, we ain't taking away your steroids and hack fighter mentality. Ain't yer fault you grew up steeped in drugs and tabloid media that shaped your formative years.
            Damn. The lengths that you'll go to stay in the dark: now that this unfortunate fact is out of the shadows, you've put your head up your ass.

The second he came under scrutiny, his skills evaporated. The dude wasn't horrible, but once he was clearly off the juice he began to look horrible. After 25+ years of MMA and Kickboxing we now know exactly what PEDs can do for fighters and how their careers ebb and flow depending on their access/use to the naughty stuff.

Roid Jones' analog in MMA would be Vitor Belfort or Alistair Overeem.

Is it already that time of the month, Queeny?

Comment

- -Month?

Oh, you mean my weekly exposure of your drug saturated self admitted confession based on the past 25 yrs of your obsessive existence?

Of course, and demean Roy using his youth to acquire boxing accolades like tons of HOFers.

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

Comment

- -Seems Roy couldn't beat his weak sister in the 30s according to the usual suspects.

Yeah, revise modern history , what moderns do best!

Roy would be infinitely better than anyone Patterson ever faced until his Liston disaster, after which he had to remake his style and rebuild his always fragile mental state. That post Liston fighter would be the only Floyd who could possibly beat Roy, but of course some in this lot want to match the prime, best ever fighters against a 40 yr old Roy, the last refuge of scoundrels.
                I guess it is easier to generalize like a true casual than look at each fighter individual. I mean whats the difference right? Galento, Patterson, Schmelling? and you are not revising yourself? I would call you a half wit but that would be a quarter generous... And kiddo when they tole ya more is better, they did not mean chromosomes!

Comment

- -So, you admit you guess.

No surprises there. Prob dress funny too!

Comment

- -So, you admit you guess.

No surprises there. Prob dress funny too!
                    Not like Houdini by any stretch...Ties are a danger to real martial artists... Someone grabs that thing and chokes away... But the real difference is the way you wear your jacket backwards, especially when you are in the padded room? Thats not normal Queenie. And no when you run out of toilet paper it is not a conspiracy. Now for today's therapy session we will not be giving you volts until water pours out your @33hole. We will be using your Larry Holmes therapy doll, you know the one that asks to carry Rocky's jockstrap with a lisp? Can you be nice to Mr Larry today so we can take the jacket off?

Comment

- -Month?

Oh, you mean my weekly exposure of your drug saturated self admitted confession based on the past 25 yrs of your obsessive existence?

Of course, and demean Roy using his youth to acquire boxing accolades like tons of HOFers.

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!
                      LOL, Queenie, I love all your spaz-outs. But this one takes the Blue Ribbon.

Do you have an in-home nurse or something? Does she write these rants for you? Maybe that's how you guys connect? Maybe she sees you for a person now, and no longer just another patient?

Please tell me, do you really think Roy fought clean?

Comment

Working...
                      X