Advice on Training in Gym

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Training in Gym

Hi guys,

I've been training in boxing for quite a few months now and have been told I will be ready for a fight soon and that I have a talent and could go a long way so I am certainly motivated.

I changed gyms a few weeks ago and love my new gym. The previous was very tough fitness wise, but very small around 20 boxers and 1 trainer so their was rarely any one-on-one time. It wasn't amateur either, it was white collar, but different from normal white collar, its basically professional but with head guards at 3x3.

The new gym is fantastic, amateur, good equipment, around 10-12 members at a time during the adult sessions and 5 qualified trainers all who are brilliant. I get loads of attention and have learnt so much in just a few sessions compared to months at the old one.

One problem, the old gym was open 4 times a week, mondays, wednesdays, fridays and sundays for 3 hours at a time but like I said mainly fitness no 1-2-1 time.

The new gym is open only 3 times a week, mon, wed and friday and each sessions lasts only around 1 hour and 20 minutes but its with a trainer through out.

I was wondering how often you guys train? And how often are you training with an actual trainer guiding you?

I have equipment at home, heavybag, speedbag, skipping rope, gloves etc so can train on the other days as much as I like, so could be training in boxing 7 days a week if I wanted too, but only 3 days a week with a trainer!? Is that still under average?

I really want to go far in this sport and eventually become a pro, I am 16 so have started late and really want to make up for the lost years, I have been told I could go far and would like to compete at 2012.

I am taking care of fitness, not much conditioning at new gym but I prefer that as I train by my self at a fitness gym 5 times a week. Its the skills I am worrying about!

thanks guys

That is plenty of 1 on 1 time. Focus on school, you will not make it as a pro. Work on a career outside of boxing and enjoy it as a sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Count Patron View Post
      That is plenty of 1 on 1 time. Focus on school, you will not make it as a pro. Work on a career outside of boxing and enjoy it as a sport.
      You will not make it as a pro. Wow, what a confidence booster?

If you train hard and dedicate yourself, anyone can make it as a pro. "Making" it does not mean you will become a world champion, but you can have a decent little career. Learn enough about boxing, participate, and after you are done, there are other options. You could go into training as a couch, or travel around and become a sparring partner.

If you are only able to train 3 days a week, atleast you are getting the one on one attention those three days. Try and do something the other two days during the week. The skip rope, sit-ups, running, shadow boxing, and some speed bag. Throw in some heavy bag practicing what you learn during those three days.

Training yourself can be bad, as you can start to form bad habbits. Make sure you are paying as close attention as possible while you are at the gym and focus on that information.

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Domey View Post
        You will not make it as a pro. Wow, what a confidence booster?

If you train hard and dedicate yourself, anyone can make it as a pro. "Making" it does not mean you will become a world champion, but you can have a decent little career. Learn enough about boxing, participate, and after you are done, there are other options. You could go into training as a couch, or travel around and become a sparring partner.

If you are only able to train 3 days a week, atleast you are getting the one on one attention those three days. Try and do something the other two days during the week. The skip rope, sit-ups, running, shadow boxing, and some speed bag. Throw in some heavy bag practicing what you learn during those three days.

Training yourself can be bad, as you can start to form bad habbits. Make sure you are paying as close attention as possible while you are at the gym and focus on that information.

Best of luck.
        School is always the better option. Not anyone can make it as a pro, some people are not cut out for it.

Comment

School is always the best option. However if that is his desire and he is willing to put in his due's, I don't see why you have to **** on them?

Comment

Originally posted by Domey View Post
            School is always the best option. However if that is his desire and he is willing to put in his due's, I don't see why you have to **** on them?
            I'm not trying to **** on his dreams, just being realistic. 3 days is good for starting out as an amateur. He should compete in a bunch of amateur fights and see how he does. If he is an awesome boxer regardless of what keystrokes I hit on a message board he will make it to the pros, but hopefully he won't forget the important stuff.

Comment

count patron rofl why are you saying he wont make it when you have never seen him box? man your just a fat kid on your pc shut it lol.
              Man you can make it if you want it simple as.
              Im not amatuer yet but im training and im 19 i been compared to miguel cotto because im gd at body punching.
              So just stick to it and dont listen to negative stuff but importantly dont ignore it because bad critizism is always gd to build on to.
              ALSO TRAIN EVERYDAY
              YOU DONT NEED A GYM TO TRAIN GOD DAM IT LOL
              I train at the gym 2 days or 3 a week and train the rest at home doing runs and exercises also sometimes going swimming.
              Im on a break at the moment im taking a few days of training but im back on it tomoz.
              Give urself break sometimes but you should be training more then 3 days if you wana go pro.
              Last edited by sterling; 03-01-2008, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sterling View Post
                count patron rofl why are you saying he wont make it when you have never seen him box? man your just a fat kid on your pc shut it lol.
                Man you can make it if you want it simple as.
                Im not amatuer yet but im training and im 19 i been compared to miguel cotto because im gd at body punching.
                So just stick to it and dont listen to negative stuff but importantly dont ignore it because bad critizism is always gd to build on to.
                ALSO TRAIN EVERYDAY
                YOU DONT NEED A GYM TO TRAIN GOD DAM IT LOL
                I train at the gym 2 days or 3 a week and train the rest at home doing runs and exercises also sometimes going swimming.
                Im on a break at the moment im taking a few days of training but im back on it tomoz.
                Give urself break sometimes but you should be training more then 3 days if you wana go pro.
                Says the guy who has never stepped in the ring but compares himself to Cotto. You are a clown.

Comment

You're quite an idiot, all of your posts are garbage. You haven't seen him box.
                  You obviously don't box OR you make a very poor attempt at it.
                  You even know what the word motivation means?

Judge Jab I train 5-6 days a week.

Weekdays 2 hour 30 minute sessions (including warm up). I have 1 on 1 time for most of it.

On Saturdays I usually do a 3-4 hour session (including warm up) and again I have 1 on 1 time for most of it.

3 days a week with a trainer is not all that bad. Just make sure when training by yourself, you do everything you practised with your trainer.

Yes school is important, you can train adequately and your studies won't suffer, make a training schedule that leaves room for study. Disregard all that troll said about not making it as a pro. 90% of sport is psychological, you need a clear goal (in your case, turning pro), always be positive that you will reach that goal. Don't hope, believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Count Patron View Post
                    Says the guy who has never stepped in the ring but compares himself to Cotto. You are a clown.
                    why wud i compare myself? ive said ive been compared and ive sparred numerous times and someone watched my vid of me body sparring then made the comparison so stop assuming things you weak minded newb you could never make amatuer.

Comment

Working...
                    X