Chicago murder rate worse than Afghan war dead

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago murder rate worse than Afghan war dead

http://presstv.com/usdetail/246804.html

Chicago residents face a murder rate that, thus far this year, is higher than the number of U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan.

The war zone-like statistics are not new. As WBEZ reports, while some 2,000 U.S. troops have been killed in Afghanistan since 2001, more than 5,000 people have been killed by gun fire in Chicago during that time, based on Department of Defense and FBI data.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times', more Chicago residents (228) have been killed so far this year in the city than the number of U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan (144) over the same period.

Chicago's murder rate is also currently quadruple that of New York and double Los Angeles' rate. Gun violence Friday evening into Saturday took the lives of at least one person, Antonio Buck of the 5400 block of South Aberdeen, and wounded at least seven others, including a 16-year-old boy shot in the lower back around 11 p.m. Friday.

The previous weekend, at least eight were killed, including a 16-year-old boy, and 46 wounded by gun violence in Chicago. Monday evening into Tuesday, seven more people were shot, two of them fatally. The city's homicide rate is up more than 50 percent over last year.

Estimates put Chicago’s gang population at roughly 70,000 members. But experts say these once organized, structured groups have splintered. Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said the "fracturing" of larger gangs into smaller ones has doubled the number of factions and conflicts.

It was even crazier 4 years ago. There were about 60 shootings in 1 month.

Comment

Thats crazy!!!

Comment

Cant imagine living somewhere like that

Comment

I'm pretty sure Kanye mentioned this on the Watch the Throne album.

Comment

I heard its because Oprah stopped filming her show

Comment

that's insane!!!
              the US have their troops in the wrong place, they should be in Chicago...

Comment

I actually use to argue with people about stuff like this all the time, like its not just as dangerous living in an inner city as it is in Afghan

Comment

Depopulation!

Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by jose830 View Post
                    that's insane!!!
                    the US have their troops in the wrong place, they should be in Chicago...
                    You'll be surprised. It'll happen eventually

check out the pittsburgh g20 protests for trial runs.
                    Last edited by F l i c k e r; 06-19-2012, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X