Which Fighter has the Greatest Resume Past Their Prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Fighter has the Greatest Resume Past Their Prime

My pick is Muhammad ALi..........His Entire resume after his 4 year ban

Ezzard Charles is a good shout. His prime was during LHW and anything after the Sam Baroudi fight is post-prime. yet he still managed to forge a resume and legacy good enough to make him an ATG HW.

Comment

I guess if you say that Sugar Ray Robinson was at his prime at WW his resume at middle isn't too shabby

Comment

Bernard Hopkins is worth mentioning. His prime seemed to be around '99-'03 and his record after that is phenomenal. As a 40+ year old he has beaten Pavlik, Wright, Tarver and Eastman while losing close, disputed fights to Taylor and Calzaghe. He has kept himself in fantastic shape and continues to be rated among the 10-15 best in the sport despite his old age.

If you believe Roberto Duran's peak was at Lightweight and Lightweight only he has gotta be up around the top 3-5 I can think of.

WBC Welterweight champion
        WBA Light Middleweight champion
        WBC Middleweight champion

He won the middleweight title 21!!!! years after his pro debut. That is incredible to me. Notable wins include Palomino, Leonard, Moore, Minchillo, Cuevas, Barkley, and Castro. Notable losses to Hagler, Leonard, Hearns and Benitez.

Comment

my first thought was the "champions forever" trio

Ali
          Foreman
          Holmes

Comment

If Joe Louis's prime was 1938, he still didn't taste defeat till 1950!!!

Comment

George foreman retired for 10 years after 42 fights & came back at 37 to have a second 10 year career winning another title at 45.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbey Road View Post
                My pick is Muhammad ALi..........His Entire resume after his 4 year ban
                That gets blown way outta proportion imo. Ali was not his prime after his exile from the ring but he was still an extremely good fighter

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
                  That gets blown way outta proportion imo. Ali was not his prime after his exile from the ring but he was still an extremely good fighter
                  of course he was extremely good, but he wasn't the same fighter he was before his ban.....he lost some of his freakish athleticism, reflexes etc, he realised that and totally redefined his style......everything post that 3-4 year ban was no longer a prime Ali......

some good names have been mentioned.....Ezzard Charles, Roberto Duran, Hopkins, Foreman, Ray Robinson

Comment

Archie Moore!! His prime was at the tender age of 15 and he fought til the age of 109!

All seriousness aside, when was Moore's prime? He was still defending his light heavy title at the age of 45 and fought Marciano for the heavyweight title at 39yrs old, fought Patterson for that title at 40 and faced Ali at 46!

Comment

Working...
                    X