No announcement yet.

Martinez vs Chavez Jr : that 12th round is a problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
    evened up the round if not won the round back IMO!
    Sergio showed the heart and fortitude of a damn warrior

Comment

Originally posted by HOLLYW00 View Post
      That's exactly how I felt.. He didn't clinch or nothing.. Fought back like a boss!
      For some people that's just pure instinct. Erik Morales is the first name comes to mind when speaking of fighting back when hurt. Even Pacquiao bangs his gloves and throws his hands up in a "lets do this" signal when he gets hit or hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        nobody but the haters and the fanboys will be "dismissing" it. the man gassed and took some huge punches from a huge guy. JR had enough to weather the storm for 11 rounds, and had enough left in the tank to really shake martinez. he didn't have enough skills or enough gas in his tank to put him away, and martinez had enough left and enough experience to survive.
        I don't think you can blame that 12th round on stamina. He looked good in the beginning of the round and the pace was pretty slow before he got hurt. I think that round genuinely exposed flaws in Martinez's game.

i don't think martinez ever thought junior could produce something like that in the 12th. knowing that he can, he'll save some gas over the course of the fight if they ever fight again.

instead of opening up on him with five or six punches in the mid stages of hte fight, he'll throw two or three.
        Isn't that what he did? He was pretty conservative, not in terms of total punches thrown but in terms of combinations. They were rare, it was mostly jabs and 1-2s.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
          For some people that's just pure instinct. Erik Morales is the first name comes to mind when speaking of fighting back when hurt. Even Pacquiao bangs his gloves and throws his hands up in a "lets do this" signal when he gets hit or hurt.
          Hitting Jmm is like hitting the ass whooping switch

Comment

Originally posted by Mr LarryX View Post
            Sergio got hurt and fought back like a true champion
            Exactly, if that **** happened in any round other than the 12th, no one would be saying ****. It's boxing...you get punched and sometime one lands perfectly and it hurts, especially when the guy is 10-15 lbs heavier than you.

Not every fight is or has to be a shutout.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
              I don't think you can blame that 12th round on stamina. He looked good in the beginning of the round and the pace was pretty slow before he got hurt. I think that round genuinely exposed flaws in Martinez's game.

Isn't that what he did? He was pretty conservative, not in terms of total punches thrown but in terms of combinations. They were rare, it was mostly jabs and 1-2s.

he was doing a lot more than needed to win the round. do i flag him for that? no way. he was beating the hell out of junior. but there were certainly plenty of spots where he could have let off of the gas

Comment

Not only was Sergio Martinez out weighted in the fight we have to remember that he gave Chavez a boxing clinic while having a broken hand.

Comment

i think Martinez getting hurt had less to do with Chavez and his power and more to do with Sergio gassing.

Comment

Imho.. I don't think the knockdown meant much. Martinez was trading with a cruiser, and get caught. Sh** Happens. it's not like he was hurt or started to clinch. he got up and finished the fight like a Boss!

Comment

nobody but the haters and the fanboys will be "dismissing" it. the man gassed and took some huge punches from a huge guy. JR had enough to weather the storm for 11 rounds, and had enough left in the tank to really shake martinez. he didn't have enough skills or enough gas in his tank to put him away, and martinez had enough left and enough experience to survive.

it's my opinion that the tough task of fighting off a cruiserweight with a very good chin wore martinez down a bit and he gassed. that's going to continue to happen while chavez jr is a middleweight.

it's not like he was outgunned tactically. he's 37. he's not going to be on his toes for 12 rounds. jr merely has the chin (and more importantly, the size,) to last 12 rounds.

what i'm really worried about with martinez is his body and his legs. he's had hip and knee problems in the past. evidently he's got an injury to his meniscus, which is generally no joke in an aging athlete.

if they fight again the outcome will almost certainly be the same, unless martinez' aging body starts to fail him. over the course of the previous 11 rounds, where martinez was having his way with junior, the energy could have been conserved for the 12th round. i don't think martinez ever thought junior could produce something like that in the 12th. knowing that he can, he'll save some gas over the course of the fight if they ever fight again.

instead of opening up on him with five or six punches in the mid stages of hte fight, he'll throw two or three. enough to win the round, but also holding back enough to be stronger in the 12th. now he knows that junior's chin and will likely take him the distance while remaining dangerous, he'll save gas for the stretch.
                      ALL of this^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Working...
                      X