No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sugar Ray Leonard Thinks About Dave Green Win Often

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Sugar Ray Leonard Thinks About Dave Green Win Often

You might expect the name of Dave 'Boy' Green to barely make a footnote in the glittering life story of Sugar Ray Leonard, a five-weight world champion and one of the most iconic fighters who ever lived.

[Click Here To Read More]

1st & only time green ever fought out of England & was a tuneup & overmatched vs Leonard, he was an average guy, KO'd by Palomino...

Comment

Originally posted by nycsmooth View Post
      KO'd by Palomino...

Captain obvious states the obvious.

Comment

First off it's always nice to get an article about the stars of yesterday.

But when the reporter writes:

Though not in Leonard's league, Green was a legitimate contender. Prior to a valiant 11th-round defeat to Palomino, Green had won 24 straight fights, including a win over John H Stracey, whom Palomino had also beaten to take the crown.
        I SMH. At least a little research such as checking Green's record on boxrec would have been appropriate. If the writer had done that he'd have seen that Green was KO'ed only 3 fights prior to the Leonard fight.

For me, as a dane, the error in the above statement is sacrilege as it omits the greatest win for the most popular danish boxer ever and arguably the most chilling fight ever held on danish territory.

Here's the fight:

So naturally HOF promotor from Denmark Mogens Palle was mad about Green getting the shot at Leonard and not Hansen.

Anyway one can understand that Leonard feels the punch that he used to finish off Green was the best he ever threw as that was truely a scintillating and brutal punch:

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          First off it's always nice to get an article about the stars of yesterday.

But when the reporter writes:

Though not in Leonard's league, Green was a legitimate contender. Prior to a valiant 11th-round defeat to Palomino, Green had won 24 straight fights, including a win over John H Stracey, whom Palomino had also beaten to take the crown.

I SMH. At least a little research such as checking Green's record on boxrec would have been appropriate. If the writer had done that he'd have seen that Green was KO'ed only 3 fights prior to the Leonard fight.

For me, as a dane, the error in the above statement is sacrilege as it omits the greatest win for the most popular danish boxer ever and arguably the most chilling fight ever held on danish territory.
          The author didn't write anything factually incorrect, I don't know what your issue is. Green did win 24 straight prior to his defeat to Palomino and he was a legitimate contender.

Comment

Originally posted by nycsmooth View Post
            1st & only time green ever fought out of England & was a tuneup & overmatched vs Leonard, he was an average guy, KO'd by Palomino...
            whats your point?

Comment

Originally posted by dannnnn View Post
              The author didn't write anything factually incorrect, I don't know what your issue is. Green did win 24 straight prior to his defeat to Palomino and he was a legitimate contender.
              Well I misread thepiece a little bit. Doesnt take away the fact that Green was ko'ed quite brutally a few fights before Leonard. The reporter should have noticed that.

Comment

A Breath Of Fresh Air Inside Boxing Story!

I would much rather read an inside piece on a legend like Leonard, than to hear about today's mouthy, well protected, divas who won't fight real contenders. Leonard's era was probably the greatest Welterweight era from top to bottom in the ranks, and they fought one another in their primes, win, lose, or draw. Lots of machismo, lots of courage, the paycheck would take care of itself, the titles/belts would take care of themselves. they just FOUGHT! Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Tommy Hearns, Roberto Duran, Wilfredo Benitez, Aaron Pryor, Alexis Arguello... LEGENDS, they fought everybody, multiple times, during each's prime. They had BALLZ. Those were the days of the Orginal "SUPER-FIGHTS". Those fights were "EVENTS"; the world stopped so to speak. Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton, later on came Tyson, Holyfield, Dela Hoya, Shane Mosley... WIN, LOSE, OR DRAW, they fought the best of the best, in their primes, multiple times, and that was Boxing at it's BEST. Think about the wars Tyson had with Razor Ruddock, Holyfield's wars with Riddick Bowe, Dela Hoya battled Mosley, Ike Quartey, Felix Trinidad, Juan Vargas, Shane Mosley in addition to Dela Hoya, battled Hall of Famers Vernon Forrest (twice) and Winky Wright, both much larger than him. More recently Pacquiao has tried to be cut from the same cloth... he fought Barerra (2x), Morales (3x), Marquez (3x), Dela Hoya, Hatton, Cotto, Clottey, Margarito, Amir Khan during training camp.... THAT's what you do when you are Champion of the World. The money and titles will take care of themselves. Want to protect your career, hand pick your opponents, that equates to being a good champion. Want to be considered a LEGEND, you fight EVERYBODY, in their primes, win, lose, or draw, multiple times if neccessary. It's not about being undefeated, it's about fighting the BEST competition during your era.

Comment

Beautiful and brutal......

Comment

Leonard's left hook is one of boxing's underrated/overlooked great punches in history.

Comment

Working...
                    X