No announcement yet.

upgrade ps3 hdd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrade ps3 hdd

anyone done this? i did mine today, went from 80 gb to 250 gb...simple swap. Only 5 screws.

havnt but been thinkin bout it. what all do u have to do? as far as installing of os?? i know swapping will be easy what did u do afterwards.

Comment

i just did a system backup, then unplugged it from wall, took off small cover on the side, took off one blue screw, took out hard drive, take out 4 screws holding old hdd in cover, put new one in, put it back in ps3, then turn it back on, ps3 will format it and then restored my data. literally took like 10 minutes. i used this video as a guide. i bought the new hdd at bestbuy for 69.99.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNSytaL9hnI

Originally posted by M Deezy View Post
      havnt but been thinkin bout it. what all do u have to do? as far as installing of os?? i know swapping will be easy what did u do afterwards.

Comment

I hate that unless you back it up onto another playstation HDD you lose your saves, and if you plug in a new hard drive it reformats it.

Annoying as hell.

Comment

well it doesnt have to be backed up onto a ps3 hdd, i backed mine up onto a sandisk microsd card.

Comment

i did mine about a year ago... a 320 gig Samsung (same model they put in the original 60 gig)

but the HDD **** the bed and im back to the 80

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
              I hate that unless you back it up onto another playstation HDD you lose your saves, and if you plug in a new hard drive it reformats it.

Annoying as hell.
              Yeah, depends on how much you have or want to save. If it is at or below 16GB there are some thumb drives that can handle that. I had a about 40-50GB of stuff when I upgraded so I used an external HDD that I connected to the PS3 via USB.

It took a little while to save all the stuff but the actual swapping out of the HDD literally took 5min. It took another 30min to restore all of my stuff.

BTW I upgraded to 750gb. I have a lot of boxing and MMA fights on there. I DL on my PC and transfer to a thumb drive then to my and my bro's PS3. Watched UFC 109 as a prelim to the Super Bowl yesterday.

Comment

damn 750gb? awesome, do you know if there is a limit on how high you can go?

Originally posted by Left2body View Post
                Yeah, depends on how much you have or want to save. If it is at or below 16GB there are some thumb drives that can handle that. I had a about 40-50GB of stuff when I upgraded so I used an external HDD that I connected to the PS3 via USB.

It took a little while to save all the stuff but the actual swapping out of the HDD literally took 5min. It took another 30min to restore all of my stuff.

BTW I upgraded to 750gb. I have a lot of boxing and MMA fights on there. I DL on my PC and transfer to a thumb drive then to my and my bro's PS3. Watched UFC 109 as a prelim to the Super Bowl yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by 713832281 View Post
                  damn 750gb? awesome, do you know if there is a limit on how high you can go?
                  I its only limited to by the size of the new laptop 2.5" HDD's. Although rpm upgrades from my understanding add little to nothing.

You can easily find a 320GB for around $50 and if your patient and keep your eyes open for sales you can get very nice deals. I believe I payed about $80 for my 750gb hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by 713832281 View Post
                    well it doesnt have to be backed up onto a ps3 hdd, i backed mine up onto a sandisk microsd card.
                    how big was your card, I have over 60gbs worth of stuff on my PS3 not including game data.

Comment

Working...
                    X