Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can it be age when GGG looked slower vs Kell Brook 3 years ago than vs Sergey?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can it be age when GGG looked slower vs Kell Brook 3 years ago than vs Sergey?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Er2xrikDfM&t=431s

Just watch 1 round you will see what Im talking about. I don't think he's old, but what it does look like? Muscle bound. Vs Brook, extremely so. Put on way too much muscle. Vs SD, a little leaner, but still too much.

When GGG made his HBO debut, he was 166 pounds in the ring. Now he looks 170 to 175 every fight. He could barely make 170 the morning of the Sergey fight.

I think that's the real story. That and possibly altitude training. If age was the main factor, though, he wouldn't have looked better vs Jacobs, Canelo, and Sergey than he did against Brook. Just look how sluggish he looks vs Brook. I dont mean compared to the smaller man, I mean period, he looks extremely sluggish.

The best GGG is a lean, light, fast GGG with good stamina. The one we've seen since Lemieux is bulked up, muscled up, slower, and easily winded. Hell I think even his punch resistance is better when he's lighter because that's just how his body best operates.
    Last edited by Boxing Logic; 10-09-2019, 01:42 PM.

You're right ggg at 37 is just entering his prime. LMAO.

Comment

Originally posted by satiev1 View Post
      You're right ggg at 37 is just entering his prime. LMAO.
      That's not my point. Obviously age is not on his side but to me he actually looked more agile and explosive the second Canelo fight than the first, and this fight than the Brook fight. There are fights 4 years ago he looks worse than now, so how can it just be age? There is something else going on. He looked *****ing terrible vs Brook, won that fight on size alone. That GGG would have lost badly to Jacobs, SD, and Canelo, but instead I had him winning all those fights. If age is the main problem why is he getting better since the Brook fight 3 years ago?

The issue is that there was a huge drop off before the Brook fight so even now that he looks better since the Brook fight, it's still not to the level he was at before. There is clearly another variable involved in GGG's decline and fluctuating performances than just age. I think its the amount of muscle he put on. He looks too muscular and soft vs Brook, instead of the lean mean fighting machine from his prime.

Comment

Brook was a more athletic guy than Derevyanchenko. He is faster and moves better.

GGG looked fine against Canelo I thought in both fights. He looked old in this last one like his legs were gone and he was out of gas after about 4 rounds.

His main issue is he never throws punches when the other guy is. Been an issue for years now and it's hard to beat top level guys if you're always waiting around to get off. With his power, he would be hurting even elite guys if he was punching in between their shots. Putting your gloves up and backing up doesn't make you look good as seen in the Canelo 2 fight even though he fought good

I think his best was around the Lemieux fight 4 or 5 years ago honestly

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Er2xrikDfM&t=431s

Just watch 1 round you will see what Im talking about. I don't think he's old, but what it does look like? Muscle bound. Vs Brook, extremely so. Put on way too much muscle. Vs SD, a little leaner, but still too much.

When GGG made his HBO debut, he was 166 pounds in the ring. Now he looks 170 to 175 every fight. He could barely make 170 the morning of the Sergey fight.

I think that's the real story. That and possibly altitude training. If age was the main factor, though, he wouldn't have looked better vs Jacobs, Canelo, and Sergey than he did against Brook. Just look how sluggish he looks vs Brook. I dont mean compared to the smaller man, I mean period, he looks extremely sluggish.

The best GGG is a lean, light, fast GGG with good stamina. The one we've seen since Lemieux is bulked up, muscled up, slower, and easily winded. Hell I think even his punch resistance is better when he's lighter because that's just how his body best operates.
          What the hell are you talking about??????? 37 years old is VERY old for a boxer. It always has been and it always will will be. Why do you think Ward and Bradley both retired at about 32. Why do you think Leonard was washed up at 35. GGG is a few years slower now than for Brook as any boxer would be. He was not slow for Brook and maybe lost only one round to Brook who was pretty good back then. He damn near killed Brook. His trainer didn't stop the fight because of the eye. He knew about the eye and sent Brook out to fight. He threw in the towel when GGG was about one punch away from knocking Brook out. GGG was anything but slow in that fight and he slaughtered Brook. How fast will Canelo be at age 37? He will retire many years before age 37. Age 30 is the traditional age when even with hard training boxers start to slow down year by year. Age 37 is 7 years past prime. GGG wasn't even all that slow against Dervy since he won the fight officially and threw over 700 punches and landed more punches. Dervy is very fast and he is 33 so closer to prime. Dervy will make a lot of guys look bad if they fight him.

Comment

Why nitpick the Brook fight?

He looked way sharper and faster in the Nelo rematch and that is about 1 year ago. It's clear he aged

Comment

He has to realize he cannot train the same way he did when he was ten years younger. Not sure who his conditioning coaches are, but they need to adjust his training camp in order for him to avoid over or under training.

It's not uncommon for a fighter to ebb and flow as they inch towards the end of their career. One fight they look great, the next mediocre, and then the next great again. Sometimes they just have a bad night or a bad training camp. This is part of the problem with top tier fighters only fighting twice per year. You lose your edge, especially as you age.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                Brook was a more athletic guy than Derevyanchenko. He is faster and moves better.

GGG looked fine against Canelo I thought in both fights. He looked old in this last one like his legs were gone and he was out of gas after about 4 rounds.

His main issue is he never throws punches when the other guy is. Been an issue for years now and it's hard to beat top level guys if you're always waiting around to get off. With his power, he would be hurting even elite guys if he was punching in between their shots. Putting your gloves up and backing up doesn't make you look good as seen in the Canelo 2 fight even though he fought good

I think his best was around the Lemieux fight 4 or 5 years ago honestly
                100% agree with the bolded.

his best imo was when he fought macklin doe. that fluid movement of his in that fight was beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                X