Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nigel Benn or Virgil Hill who do you rate as the greater fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nigel Benn or Virgil Hill who do you rate as the greater fighter?

For me its benn , hill may of made more title defences, but benn beat the better fighters! his wins over barkley and and gerald mccellan 2 of the most feared fighters in boxing at that time when benn beat them really stand out for me. So am going with benn.

Benn was my favourite fighter as a kid. Would I be biased picking him? I do think he is the greater of the two, though. Had the better wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
      For me its benn , hill may of made more title defences, but benn beat the better fighters! his wins over barkley and and gerald mccellan 2 of the most feared fighters in boxing at that time when benn beat them really stand out for me. So am going with benn.

I would have to go with Virgil Hill. He beat fighters that were not exactly scrubs. He was the first to beat Henry Maske. And he beat him in Germany. After that he twice beat Fabrice Tiozzo, once for the cruiserweight title at an older age for a boxer. He also beat numerous top contenders and world champions like Bobby Czyz, Frank Tate, and Lou Devalle. I give Benn limited credit for beating McClellan because for one he was losing the fight, and two he was allowed to punch McClellan in the back of the head the entire fight without ANY warnings from the ref. Barkley was not a great fighter and certainly not "most feared" when he fought Benn. Benn also had some dismal performances in the prime of his career. Hill was better and his numbers show it.
      Last edited by Calilloyd; 05-06-2010, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Benn on sheer entertainment!

Resume wise the two are close for me, obviously Benn had good wins over Dewitt, Barkley, Galvano (in Italy!! Not because he was a great fighter!), Robbie Simms and McClellan. Dont forget Benn's draw with Eubank too......he'd have won that without the low blow deduction!

Comment

Nigel. Just because he could put on a show in an effort to entertain.

Comment

Nigel Benn one of the best fighters to come out of britain.

Comment

Benn all day...

Comment

nigel benn

Comment

I would have to go with Virgil Hill. Benn might have two wins with bigger names, one of which is very dodgy (if you've seen the Barkley fight), but overall Hill achieved a lot more and fought as many (probably more in fact) good or great fighters, and had a much greater title reign.

Benn also had a series of losses that go a little against him more so than Hill's losses.

Comment

Slight edge to Hill though it's a tough call.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                    X