No announcement yet.

Biggest "tune up" disasters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
    Can't believe I forgot the biggest tune up disaster of all time; Tyson-Douglas.

Disgusted that it's taken 25 posts for this to be mentioned, it's the biggest upset ever. I'm stunned.

Tyson v Holyfield was already in the pipeline before this fight. Douglas was 40/1 to win and he KO'd the biggest heavyweight champion since Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post

post the video, NE, you tosser.
      Quality! Bentt retired soon after IIRC after losing to Herbie Hide. Didn't he play Sonny Liston in Ali as well?

On topic, a recent example would be Kerry Hope beating Proska.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmie Smalls View Post
        it should have been: Zaheer Raheem vs Erik Morales.
        Yeah, I don't really remember the circumstances surrounding that bout as far as whether it was a "tune up", but Raheem totally dominated Morales. Beautiful stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippy View Post
          Disgusted that it's taken 25 posts for this to be mentioned, it's the biggest upset ever. I'm stunned.

Tyson v Holyfield was already in the pipeline before this fight. Douglas was 40/1 to win and he KO'd the biggest heavyweight champion since Ali.
          That's more an indication of the age of folks here. Most go back in Boxing no more than ten years. We're talking about a fight that happened in 1990. I remember watching that alone in my living room completely stunned. Oh why didn't I place a bet on Douglas that night? Oh that's right, because I was barely seventeen at the time and most betting g places wouldn't even place odds on the fight. The guy was a 30+ to 1 underdog, for pet's sake! That, for me, was the biggest shocker of them all. Even knowing that Tyson was slacking, I never felt Douglas could pull it off. Too bad Douglas never did anything with it other than to sponsor Buster Douglas Boxing on the Sega Genesis!

Comment

Yea I was going to say Tyson-Douglas without a doubt, not even the whole Holyfield thing but what about Tyson's team not even having the proper stuff to keep down swelling and using the condom full of tap water on his swollen eye.

Comment

ortiz lopez forsure, not only did he miss out of a canelo fight but he broke his jaw and has been out for a long time and may never be the same

Comment

...or that Tyson-Douglas is obvious?

Brewster-Wlad
                Puritty-Wlad
                Phillips-Tzuyu
                Last edited by D-MiZe; 01-05-2013, 03:17 PM.

Comment

kirkland-ishida , it just came completely out of nowhere lol

Comment

Hatton vs Senchenko???

Lara vs Williams
                    Last edited by goblin213; 01-05-2013, 03:27 PM.

Comment

even though he held a title glen johnson was more or less a stay busy fight for RJJ. just a tough guy that would force roy to fight but wasnt good enough to give him any real trouble leading up to his huge rematch with tarver.

simon brown knocking out terry norris is another one. nothing was made yet but norris was very close to a mega fight with chavez jr.

then ofcourse when mcclellan knocked out jackson. mcclellan wasnt a tune up but he never fought at that level before and jackson hadnt lost in years (47-1 '45KOs'), very few ppl gave mcclellan much of a chance despite his power. a rematch bewteen jackson and norris was all but made, in fact norris was in the crowd.

tim witherspoon was in line for a big fight when he lost to bonecrusher smith in a round. holyfield i think, or tyson.

Comment

Working...
                      X