No announcement yet.

Yesteryears fighters, todays equipment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesteryears fighters, todays equipment

Forget training techniques, nutrition and PED's. How much different would the fighters from the turn of the century till say the 50's be if they were able to use today's equipment? From rubber soled shoes, to padded ring aprons, to bigger gloves with more padding, to custom mouthpieces. Do bigger gloves slow them down and make them arm wary? Do better mouthpieces make them even tougher? What are your opinions on this?

If an old school fighter had today's technology but kept yesteryears mentality they would be amazing to behold.

Comment

It would be a helluva lot safer.

I think bigger gloves are the main thing. They are also wider, meaning more surface area to block with, so defensive greats like Gans etc. Would have an evev bigger field day than they did in their own generation.

The shoes would help but, not a huge amount that it's worth talking about.

Everyones on the same playing field though.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        Forget training techniques, nutrition and PED's. How much different would the fighters from the turn of the century till say the 50's be if they were able to use today's equipment? From rubber soled shoes, to padded ring aprons, to bigger gloves with more padding, to custom mouthpieces. Do bigger gloves slow them down and make them arm wary? Do better mouthpieces make them even tougher? What are your opinions on this?
        Based on input from pro fighters Jab, the bigger gloves definitely slow them down. One example was when Mayweather fought Delahoya. Delahoya wanted the bigger gloves to slow Mayweather's punches while Mayweather wanted the 8 OZ gloves. I think the same can be said for other fast fighters like Manny Pacquiao who definitely benefits from the smaller gloves because of his speed advantages.

I think it balances out. From what I've been told, a lot of fighters would prefer the smaller gloves.

Comment

They wouldn't be that great.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavyfasthands View Post
            If you don't have anything intelligent to add then STFU and STFD.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by Heavyfasthands View Post

Care to elaborate?

Comment

Working...
              X