No announcement yet.

Weight Training for Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Training for Boxing

Before I started boxing I had an impressive list of powerlifting accomplishments, but I hated doing it and I wanted to do something I liked, being boxing. I don't want to stop training with heavy weights all together as part of my routine. So I was just wondering what everyone else did with weights as a part of their regimen, or if they use weights at all. Thanks.

I was a buody builder before I got back into boxing. honestly, you wont be touching weights for a while. I only do things with 3 pounders and light deadlifts and pull ups now.

Youll be shocked at how much strength you maintain tho.
    Last edited by TexasTitan; 02-25-2008, 10:33 PM.

Comment

With boxing you'll want to do light weights, with high repititions. Reason being you dont want to be big and bulky. You just want to make your muscles more solid.

If you're big and bulky, your arms are forced to be further away from your body, which leaves you very vulnerable, along with speed factor.

Also muscle weighs more then fat as you know, so you'll have a harder time losing weight.

I would only lift weights, as in medium to heavy weights if I were in a big weight division. Personally I fight at featherweight / lightweight. So weights arnt my thing.

Comment

Yeah I'm a 133 pounder myself, it's on a 5'5" frame though so I guess you could say I'm kind of stocky. Hopefully it won't pose much of a problem. I think I will replace the heavy weight training with a lot of calisthenics, as those have always been a strong point of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by mamoroso04 View Post
          Before I started boxing I had an impressive list of powerlifting accomplishments, but I hated doing it and I wanted to do something I liked, being boxing. I don't want to stop training with heavy weights all together as part of my routine. So I was just wondering what everyone else did with weights as a part of their regimen, or if they use weights at all. Thanks.
          You can also do explosive power exercises, these will help out with boxing

here is a good video from Ross Boxing building explosive power
          http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/hardcore.html
          and it didn't sacrifice any speed so he says. It's very impressive

Comment

Originally posted by mamoroso04 View Post
            Please use the search function. This question has been answered on these boards at least half a dozen times, in depth.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
              Please use the search function. This question has been answered on these boards at least half a dozen times, in depth.
              It's still amazing to me, that everytime the question is asked, a few guys appear out of the woodwork, claiming you have to do high reps/light weight though... Never the same guys as last time, but there's always a few of those "experts"...

Comment

u wont get big and bulky if u lift heavy weights, it has to do with ur genetics and the diet u follow. Bodybuilding is more complicated then just using heavy weights

Comment

A correct diet for body buildling. Like a protien diet. Boxers take in alot of protien as well.

Lifting heavy weights will increase your size. I am not saying you are going to get totally ripped jack and become Mr. USA. But your muscles will get bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Domey View Post
                    A correct diet for body buildling. Like a protien diet. Boxers take in alot of protien as well.

Lifting heavy weights will increase your size. I am not saying you are going to get totally ripped jack and become Mr. USA. But your muscles will get bigger.
                    The difference between boxers and bodybuilders is that bodybuilders take in an excess of calories, or they can't grow, where boxers restrict their calorie intake, so they won't gain weight. On a calorie restricted diet no amount of lifting in the world can make you grow!

Hypertrophy is best achieved using the midrange rep area (6-12), where heavy, lowrep (1-5) is primarily for strength. Add to that the fact that boxers 1. Should not use the same volume of work when lifting, and 2. Boxers do a lot of other training that influences their bodycomposition in the opposite direction, and you have a situation where a boxer will get stronger and not bigger, while lifting heavy weights as part of his training

You also seem confuse the concept of getting ripped with that of getting bigger. Getting ripped is a matter of losing fat.
                    Last edited by PunchDrunk; 02-26-2008, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X