No announcement yet.

what if

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what if

what if Meldrick Taylor would have beaten Julio Cesar Chavez? would Taylor's career have gone better or would his career still declined afterwards?

depends what he did next

Comment

I think the punishment Taylor absorbed in the Chavez fight caused his decline. I don't think he would have had much different of a career had he won are not. Chavez fight started the decline and the Terry Norris fight totally destroyed him. Norris was way to big and ruined his career. Taylor had a long amatuer career (gold medalist at 17), which has been said to shorten careers.

Comment

Originally posted by hitman215
        what if Meldrick Taylor would have beaten Julio Cesar Chavez? would Taylor's career have gone better or would his career still declined afterwards?
        Honestly, I think that war was so brutal he may never have recovered; but if he got a win, it is possible that he would have been stronger with more cofidence for a while.

Comment

yea i think the damage in that fight really did him in but i think he could have been a world class fighter for a little while longer if he won just because of the confidence he would have had. i also think he career would have been much longer if he would have fought from the outside and used his boxing skills than trying to slug it out on the inside.

Comment

It might of lasted a little longer, but that Michael Dokes-like style would have did him in once he fought someone with the skill of a Pernell Whitaker, or a Donald Curry.

Comment

Originally posted by hitman215 View Post

Good question. Personally, I think it wouldn't have deteriorated quite so fast; but I don't believe he would have ever been the same, either. Joe Frazier won the first Ali fight; but he was never the same, either. Two years later Foreman blasts him out in two rounds.

I think the primary difference would be in how Taylor's career is remembered.

Comment

Working...
              X