No announcement yet.

Top 10 Greatest Fighters of All Time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 Greatest Fighters of All Time

I searched this forum far and wide, but was unable to find this topic covered. There are several for certain weight classes, but it's hard to believe no one has addressed the P4P issue. It's tough enough to select the 10 best regardless of weight class, let alone rank 'em, but if you feel up to the task, I challenge you to do as I have below. If it's too difficult to rank them, list your top10 at any rate.
    1. Sugar Ray Robinson
    2. Henry Armstrong
    3. Joe Louis
    4. Harry Greb
    5. Muhammad Ali
    6. Roberto Duran
    7. Benny Leonard
    8. Willie Pep
    9. Jack Dempsey
    10. Larry Holmes

Topics been covered numerous times.

Here's my personal list;

1. Ray Robinson
    2. Harry Greb
    3. Sam Langford
    4. Henry Armstrong
    5. Ezzard Charles
    6. Benny Leonard
    7. Bob Fitzsimmons
    8. Roberto Duran
    9. Archie Moore
    10. Willie Pep

Comment

jack dempsey, larry holmes???

really???

no sam langford? ezzard charles?

Comment

Could you explain how you put Jack Dempsey and Larry Holmes in your top 10?

Dempsey is usually around 9th place when he is ranked as a heavyweight, to see him in a P4P list is... New.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Topics been covered numerous times.

Here's my personal list;

1. Ray Robinson
          2. Harry Greb
          3. Sam Langford
          4. Henry Armstrong
          5. Ezzard Charles
          6. Benny Leonard
          7. Bob Fitzsimmons
          8. Roberto Duran
          9. Archie Moore
          10. Willie Pep
          Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
          jack dempsey, larry holmes???

really???

no sam langford? ezzard charles?
          Are you blind?

Comment

Here's an idea: If you want to see your favorites listed, list them yourself! Don't expect someone else to be your clone. The object of the thread is no compare differences of opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
              Are you blind?
              I think he's referring to your list.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                Here's an idea: If you want to see your favorites listed, list them yourself! Don't expect someone else to be your clone. The object of the thread is no compare differences of opinion.
                None of my favourite fighters are in my list strangely enough.

I don't rate fighters by who my favourites are or who I like.

And obviously having Jack Dempsey and Larry Holmes in your Top 10 is a bold claim, obviously it's going to be questioned.

You should respond and break down why you feel it's justified, get some discussion going.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  None of my favourite fighters are in my list strangely enough.

I don't rate fighters by who my favourites are or who I like.

And obviously having Jack Dempsey and Larry Holmes in your Top 10 is a bold claim, obviously it's going to be questioned.

You should respond and break down why you feel it's justified, get some discussion going.
                  Allow me to re-frase my statement: if you want to see the fighters you deem best, list them yourself. I think it's only fair that if you question someone's opinion, you should post yours and subject it to questioning, as you did. I will submit my responses in due course of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                    Could you explain how you put Jack Dempsey and Larry Holmes in your top 10?

Dempsey is usually around 9th place when he is ranked as a heavyweight, to see him in a P4P list is... New.
                    i wouldn't say its new. i remember an espn show where they ranked the greatest fighters of all time and i think he was ranked at 9.

I'm gonna go against conventional wisdom and go with armstrong at number one. at one point, he could have been the only man to have won half of the titles in boxing at that time. he's had 150 wins, with 101 ko's, has the most defenses at welterweight with 19.

1.Henry Armstrong

2.Sugar ray robinson

3.Sam Langford (giving what we know, and the fact that there's no fight footage of greb, I'm gonna go with sam on this one)

4.Harry greb

5.willie pep (most wins ever)

6.ezzard charles

7.Muhammad ali (greatest heavyweight resume imo)

8.ray leonard
                    (might controversial to some, but i think having wins over hearns, benitez, duran and hagler, however controversial, is a big deal)

9.archie moore (most Ko's all time)

10.bob fitzsimmons (first guy to win a championship in three divisions)

edit:can't believe i forgot about greb. and I've actually been thinking about him a lot lately.
                    Last edited by AntonTheMeh; 09-12-2012, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X