Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was this the best week ever for English club football?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was this the best week ever for English club football?

When has England ever been this dominant?

Originally posted by kayjay View Post
    Last year .

Comment

I really dont want an ongoing dialogue about this. But right now the premiership is the strongest, i still believe Serie a is more technical as is la liga, if people think otherwise they are welcome to their opinion. Without going into it, I believe fitness and power is a key factor in why England is doing so well, obviously there have been tactical and personnel improvements, but I really believe the fitness and tempo the premiership clubs can play is something the other major teams lack at the moment. Again, technically I think they have issues which I think the spanish and italian sides need to learn how to expose better.

English sides are quite well tactically drill and have good technique, but they seem to be able to sustain that level of performance for very long periods.

Difficult to explain, but english clubs in europe deserve full credit, its about winning, they are winning, I dont know how long it can last for, but the other 2 leagues need to take a long hard look at the players they are buying and how they match up in europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical_Skill View Post
        I really dont want an ongoing dialogue about this. But right now the premiership is the strongest, i still believe Serie a is more technical as is la liga, if people think otherwise they are welcome to their opinion. Without going into it, I believe fitness and power is a key factor in why England is doing so well, obviously there have been tactical and personnel improvements, but I really believe the fitness and tempo the premiership clubs can play is something the other major teams lack at the moment. Again, technically I think they have issues which I think the spanish and italian sides need to learn how to expose better.

English sides are quite well tactically drill and have good technique, but they seem to be able to sustain that level of performance for very long periods.

Difficult to explain, but english clubs in europe deserve full credit, its about winning, they are winning, I dont know how long it can last for, but the other 2 leagues need to take a long hard look at the players they are buying and how they match up in europe.
        I thought you'd left the forum ain't seen from you in ages.

We always seem to disagree on pretty much everything. But I think anyone with half a brain knows that 98% of english players aren't as technically gifted as their european counterparts. There are a few however who are, but most teams have more foreign players than british or english and the majority of these are technically better than our players.

So I think the premiership is technical and catching up the other top european leagues but this is due to the quality of the foreign players being brought in and the number of them rather than the average english/british players getting more technical. They have improved a little but it's plain to see when you watch england versus croatia that from defenders through to forwards they are far more technical than our guys.

Comment

Having the most money, the best players, stability and arguably world's finest managers at their disposal = Premiership success in the Champions League.

Comment

Originally posted by RED ARMY View Post
            Last year .
            lol! spot on mate!
            but apart from that the early 80`s (before we got banned)
            even villa won the european cup,forest won it twice & of course liverpool!
            (soz red army! lol!)
            and that was before all the money & foreigners!

Comment

Originally posted by Technical_Skill View Post

TS,

This is a debate that we have undertaken for about 2 years now. I and many others said two years ago that the English clubs where now superior and I am sure that point has been more than proven last year and indeed this.

Its a fairly simple answer, the money resides in our league and we can therefore bring in a lot of the worlds top players, managers and coaches. Also its about periods, we had a glory period in the mid 70's to early 80's then perhaps due to the ban fell behind but that is no longer the case.

We have teams outside the top four who would IMO opinion do well in other leagues - Everton and Villa spring to mind and on the whole the teams are a mix of youth and experience which in the case of the Italian sides seems to no longer be the case. Has the match fixing scandal damaged Italian football? I'm sure it has but looking at Inter last night was like looking at a snapshot of the mid 90's as so many of the players came from that era.

Man City will probably add to this in coming years so unless Platini has his way I see it carrying on for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by RED ARMY View Post
                Last year .
                I think this year in the CL has been a little better than last. The teams got unfortunate draws in the last round but all four advanced. Real has won ten straight in La Liga and have looked to be in the top two or three in Europe, yet they lose 0-5 to Liverpool, who have been struggling in the EPL. Arsenal are about the seventh best team in England but still good enough for the last eight in Europe.

Right now if you rank all the teams in Europe you easily have three of the top four from the EPL, maybe five of the top eight.

Comment

come on the pool! (when you walk....

Comment

Originally posted by kayjay View Post
                    In club football? Always.

Comment

Working...
                    X