No announcement yet.

Unification fights that ended in a draw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unification fights that ended in a draw

I recently watched the 1991 130 pound WBA/IBF unification fight between Brian Mitchell and Tony Lopez. The fight ended in a controversial draw(I thought Mitchell was the clear winner.) They fought several months later with Mitchell, after abdicating the WBA belt, won and claimed Lopez's IBF titles. The other two unification fights I remember that ended in a draw were the 1989 168 title WBA/WBO unification fight between Leonard and Hearns and the 1999 Heavyweight unification fight between Lewis and Holyfield. Are there any others that I'm missing?

Rosendo Alvarez vs Victor Burgos was one that I remember. WBA/IBF light flyweight unification bout on the 2003 undercard of Bernard Hopkins/William Joppy. I personally thought that Alvarez did enough to win, he landed the cleaner, harder punches, but lots of the rounds were close and Burgos was abit busier. I think a draw was just about fair to be honest. The verdict just comes down to how you score the rounds. Neither guy seemed really dissapointed at the end. It was a very even fight with several close rounds.

Comment

Toney-McCallum should have been an unification but the WBA pulled their sanction. Did I miss it or did no one name Ricardo Lopez/Rosendo Alvarez I that ended in a technical draw.

No big deal but Leonard Hearns II was a WBO/WBC unification, like I said no biggie.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
        Toney-McCallum should have been an unification but the WBA pulled their sanction. Did I miss it or did no one name Ricardo Lopez/Rosendo Alvarez I that ended in a technical draw.

No big deal but Leonard Hearns II was a WBO/WBC unification, like I said no biggie.
        Thanks for the correction. yes, Alvarez-Lopez was a unification. Thanks for the info

Comment

Pacquiao vs Sanchez

Comment

pacquiao-marquez 1...

if im not mistaken, it was for JMM's 3 alphabet titles & MP's THE RING title at 126...

the WBO 126 title was being held by scott harrison...

Comment

what about the taylor-wright fight several years back? i think it was also a unification fight @MW that ended in a draw... pls correct me if im wrong...

it was an excellent fight by the way...

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
                what about the taylor-wright fight several years back? i think it was also a unification fight @MW that ended in a draw... pls correct me if im wrong...

it was an excellent fight by the way...
                that wasn't unification, only Taylor had belts

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
                  pacquiao-marquez 1...

If im not mistaken, it was for jmm's 3 alphabet titles & mp's the ring title at 126...

The wbo 126 title was being held by scott harrison...
                  great call!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X