Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DELAHOYA TO PACQUIAO: "You're the fighter. You're the boss. "You call the shots"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DELAHOYA TO PACQUIAO: "You're the fighter. You're the boss. "You call the shots"

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,7844810.story

Manny Pacquiao doesn't look much like a winner

After a controversial majority-decision victory over Juan Manuel Marquez on Saturday in Las Vegas, the World Boxing Organization's welterweight champion wasn't exactly basking in glory.

By Lance Pugmire

November 13, 2011, 6:10 p.m.
    Reporting from Las Vegas -- This was not the look of victory; it was the despair of lost mystique.

Yes, Las Vegas judges Glenn Trowbridge and Dave Moretti delivered Manny Pacquiao a crowd-stunning majority-decision victory over Juan Manuel Marquez on Saturday night at MGM Grand Garden Arena.

But Pacquiao's reactions spoke of something different.

Defeat.

While Marquez, 38, briefly basked in the celebration of an apparent triumph after the 12th round, lifting his right fist to the air as if to forever puncture the cloud of close-call shortcomings versus Pacquiao, the Filipino superstar retreated to his corner to kneel and pray.

By executing a superior counterpunching display that defused Pacquiao's aggressive style and subjected the welterweight world champion to a routine of punches in the face, Marquez accomplished so much.

He gained a measure of redemption, revenge and was at his best on his biggest stage yet.

Marquez wasn't around to see it, but Pacquiao revealed the hollowness of his 15th consecutive "victory," showing up at his postfight news conference as a beaten man.

It wasn't because of the discomfort of 28 stitches to close the three-level cut he suffered in a 10th-round head butt.

It was because he failed to please his fans, because he was subjected to a chorus of boos in the arena after being awarded the victory and because he again couldn't figure out Marquez.

"He's always backing off and waiting for me to create action," Pacquiao said. "And when I do, he counters. It's not easy to create action with him waiting for a good shot."

Pacquiao was asked whether he was disappointed in himself. Had he failed to follow the fight plan?

"No, I'm not disappointed," Pacquiao said, his handlers trying to get him off the stage rapidly. "It's just my feet."

Trainer Freddie Roach said Pacquiao complained of cramping in his feet, situation for which Roach vows to find a solution.

Now Pacquiao has to figure out something else complex: What to do next.

It took all of a few minutes for Bob Arum, Pacquiao's promoter, to admit Marquez was entitled to a rematch in May. After getting as much as $10 million for this bout — depending on pay-per-view income — Marquez is positioned to get at least that again.

But does Pacquiao really want any part of Marquez again after three tight fights?

Oscar De La Hoya, who helps promote unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr., said the time has come for Pacquiao to be more assertive in choosing his path, not leaving it entirely up to his promoter.

"My advice to Manny is, 'You're the fighter. You're the boss. You call the shots,' " De La Hoya said. "If Manny wants Floyd, there's nothing from stopping that fight from happening.

"Pacquiao fights for the people and the people want him to step up and fight Mayweather."

Arum said it's "absolutely" Pacquiao's right to decide his next step. Pacquiao said late Saturday that Marquez deserves a rematch.

"I'm happy about my performance, but I don't know what I need to do to change the minds of the judges," Marquez said after the fight. "I'll sit down with my family and make a decision about continuing in this sport or simply retire.

"I really believe I have to drop [Pacquiao], but even if I drop him, I get the feeling they'll stand him back up and give him the fight again. I am very frustrated right now."

Ignacio Beristain, Marquez's trainer, called the decision "a joke."

The debt to Marquez for one more Pacquiao fight is substantial.

But De La Hoya says the Mayweather fight is at hand.

De La Hoya told The Times before Saturday's fight that his company has been instructed by Mayweather to schedule MGM Grand in May for "the biggest fight possible, and there's no secret who that is.

"Mayweather wants the fight, and there's nothing that can keep this fight from happening."

Heard often after Saturday's bout, however, was the conclusion that if Marquez could make Pacquiao's life so difficult, imagine what Mayweather (42-0) would do.

"People can keep comparing Pacquiao and Mayweather, I don't care," Arum said. "If you want to say Manny's diminished by this, go ahead."

lance.pugmire@latimes.com

Copyright © 2011, Los Angeles Times

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post

After a controversial majority-decision victory over Juan Manuel Marquez on Saturday in Las Vegas, the World Boxing Organization's welterweight champion wasn't exactly basking in glory.

By Lance Pugmire

Reporting from Las Vegas -- This was not the look of victory; it was the despair of lost mystique.

Yes, Las Vegas judges Glenn Trowbridge and Dave Moretti delivered Manny Pacquiao a crowd-stunning majority-decision victory over Juan Manuel Marquez on Saturday night at MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Defeat.

While Marquez, 38, briefly basked in the celebration of an apparent triumph after the 12th round, lifting his right fist to the air as if to forever puncture the cloud of close-call shortcomings versus Pacquiao, the Filipino superstar retreated to his corner to kneel and pray.

By executing a superior counterpunching display that defused Pacquiao's aggressive style and subjected the welterweight world champion to a routine of punches in the face, Marquez accomplished so much.

He gained a measure of redemption, revenge and was at his best on his biggest stage yet.

Marquez wasn't around to see it, but Pacquiao revealed the hollowness of his 15th consecutive "victory," showing up at his postfight news conference as a beaten man.

It wasn't because of the discomfort of 28 stitches to close the three-level cut he suffered in a 10th-round head butt.

It was because he failed to please his fans, because he was subjected to a chorus of boos in the arena after being awarded the victory and because he again couldn't figure out Marquez.

"He's always backing off and waiting for me to create action," Pacquiao said. "And when I do, he counters. It's not easy to create action with him waiting for a good shot."

Pacquiao was asked whether he was disappointed in himself. Had he failed to follow the fight plan?

"No, I'm not disappointed," Pacquiao said, his handlers trying to get him off the stage rapidly. "It's just my feet."

Trainer Freddie Roach said Pacquiao complained of cramping in his feet, situation for which Roach vows to find a solution.

It took all of a few minutes for Bob Arum, Pacquiao's promoter, to admit Marquez was entitled to a rematch in May. After getting as much as $10 million for this bout — depending on pay-per-view income — Marquez is positioned to get at least that again.

But does Pacquiao really want any part of Marquez again after three tight fights?

Oscar De La Hoya, who helps promote unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr., said the time has come for Pacquiao to be more assertive in choosing his path, not leaving it entirely up to his promoter.

"My advice to Manny is, 'You're the fighter. You're the boss. You call the shots,' " De La Hoya said. "If Manny wants Floyd, there's nothing from stopping that fight from happening.

"Pacquiao fights for the people and the people want him to step up and fight Mayweather."

Arum said it's "absolutely" Pacquiao's right to decide his next step. Pacquiao said late Saturday that Marquez deserves a rematch.

"I'm happy about my performance, but I don't know what I need to do to change the minds of the judges," Marquez said after the fight. "I'll sit down with my family and make a decision about continuing in this sport or simply retire.

"I really believe I have to drop [Pacquiao], but even if I drop him, I get the feeling they'll stand him back up and give him the fight again. I am very frustrated right now."

De La Hoya told The Times before Saturday's fight that his company has been instructed by Mayweather to schedule MGM Grand in May for "the biggest fight possible, and there's no secret who that is.

"Mayweather wants the fight, and there's nothing that can keep this fight from happening."

Heard often after Saturday's bout, however, was the conclusion that if Marquez could make Pacquiao's life so difficult, imagine what Mayweather (42-0) would do.

"People can keep comparing Pacquiao and Mayweather, I don't care," Arum said. "If you want to say Manny's diminished by this, go ahead."

sounds like arum realizes the hype has derailed some. that sounds like defeat to me.

Comment

manny is the fighter--he is the boss---stop letting arum run you manny---i know what goes on behind closed doors packy----step the **** up sucka---hulk hogan--we coming fo you *****-lol

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
        sounds like arum realizes the hype has derailed some. that sounds like defeat to me.
        Yes, and when you combine that with Ariza's statements about Manny going "backwards" in the Margarito, Mosley and Marquez fights, I think there is (legitimate) concern within Team Pacquiao.

If the Manny that fought Mosley and Marquez is the one that shows up for a Mayweather fight...

Comment

aaaaammmm speak to my promoterrrrr ammmmm eeee me need sing song at jimmy kimmel show emmmmm bob arum make fight eemmmmm

Comment

man manny's stock has dropped crazy overnight. lol, so ironic. arum says manny makes the decisions on who to fight manny says arum makes the decisions, wtf is up?

Comment

Originally posted by BoZz View Post
              aaaaammmm speak to my promoterrrrr ammmmm eeee me need sing song at jimmy kimmel show emmmmm bob arum make fight eemmmmm
              damn its true.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
                man manny's stock has dropped crazy overnight. lol, so ironic. arum says manny makes the decisions on who to fight manny says arum makes the decisions, wtf is up?
                Team Pac is a bit on their heels right now, and they need to just regroup.

Manny should simply say that he just came out of camp, allow the dust to settle, go enjoy his birthday in the Philippines, and make a fight announcement after the new year.

Arum made a big mistake by talking about how a fourth fight would make so much money. He did this IN THE RING on Saturday night, while all the fans were still booing.

That was bad timing. At that moment, nobody cared about money or the economics of a greedy promoter. Then Manny says "whoever my promoter wants".

But they'll be fine. Manny has an extremely dedicated fanbase.

Comment

I definitely agree with that... I'm tired of the talk to my promoter bull****.

You're one of, if not the best fighter in the world.... if you want to do something, nobody is going to tell you no.

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post

By Lance Pugmire

Defeat.

Manny can talk about running for govenor in his home province but has to defer to his promoter on who his next opponent is? None of us are that stupid.

Comment

Working...
                    X