Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Reality Is Sam Langford A Notch Above Ray Robinson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Reality Is Sam Langford A Notch Above Ray Robinson?

When you look at what Langford done and achieved, does it just put him a notch above Ray?

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/langford.html

Beat ATG's from LW to HW. While just 5''6. Most likley the hardest P4P puncher of all time.

Wins over Joe Gans, Harry Wills, Kid Norfolk, George Godfrey, "Philadelphia" Jack O'Brien, Joe Jeannette, Sam McVea, Ed "Gunboat" Smith, Willie Lewis, George "Elbows" McFadden, George Gunther, "Young" Peter Jackson, Jack Blackburn, Larry Temple, Dixie Kid (Aaron Brown), "Fireman" Jim Flynn, Jeff Clark, Bill Lang, Tom "Bearcat" McMahon, Jack Thompson, John Lester Johnson, Dan "Porky" Flynn, Ed "Bearcat" Wright, Theodore "Tiger" Flowers and "Big" Bill Tate.

The man defeated ATG Tiger Flowers while virtually blind. Legend has it he even knocked out Jim Jeffries in a sparring session to.

The man was a pure freak of nature. The things he done were just incredible, he defeined ''Pound For Pound''

Is Robinson really greater than Mr Langford?

Comments from Various Fighters:

“Sam Langford was the toughest little son of a ***** that ever lived.” -- Jack Johnson

“The hell I feared no man. There was one man I wouldn’t fight because I knew he would flatten me. I was afraid of Sam Langford.” -- Jack Dempsey

“When Sam hit you in the body, you’d kind of look around half expecting to see his glove sticking out of your back. When he hit you on the chin, you didn’t think at all until they brought you back to life. When he knocked me out in New Orleans, I thought I’d been Killed. -- Harry Wills

“The greatest hitter of them all, bar none, was Sam Langford.” -- Harry Wills

“Langford was the greatest fighter who ever lived. Sam would have been champion any time Johnson had given him a fight. And Johnson knew it better than anybody. Man! How that baby could hit. Nobody else could hit like that. Well, maybe Joe Louis could, but don’t forgot that Sam only weighed about 160 pounds. Louis was about 195.”-- Joe Jeannette

“I’d pick him (Langford) to knock out Joe Louis, Jack Dempsey and Rocky Marciano. When he was not under wraps, he was a ring marvel.” -- Frank Erne

“Who’s the best heavyweight I ever saw? That’s an easy one. Sam Langford and nobody ever came close to being as good as he was at this peak. Why, old Sam could do everything. He could punch from any position and hit hard too. He was a master boxer, difficult to hit, but if you did land you might just as well try to make an impression upon the floor of the Garden. He would take all the heart out of you and then give you a fine pasting. He ruined me. I was all through after that last fight with Langford in Boston. -- “Gunboat” Smith

Last edited by Southpaw Great; 07-22-2010, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseySugar View Post
      When you look at what Langford done and achieved, does it just put him a notch above Ray?

Beat ATG's from LW to HW. While just 5''6. Most likley the hardest P4P puncher of all time.

Wins over Joe Gans, Harry Wills, Kid Norfolk, George Godfrey, "Philadelphia" Jack O'Brien, Joe Jeannette, Sam McVea, Ed "Gunboat" Smith, Willie Lewis, George "Elbows" McFadden, George Gunther, "Young" Peter Jackson, Jack Blackburn, Larry Temple, Dixie Kid (Aaron Brown), "Fireman" Jim Flynn, Jeff Clark, Bill Lang, Tom "Bearcat" McMahon, Jack Thompson, John Lester Johnson, Dan "Porky" Flynn, Ed "Bearcat" Wright, Theodore "Tiger" Flowers and "Big" Bill Tate.

The man defeated ATG Tiger Flowers while virtually blind. Legend has it he even knocked out Jim Jeffries in a sparring session to.

The man was a pure freak of nature. The things he done were just incredible, he defeined ''Pound For Pound''

If he wasn't born in such a racist era he possibly could be, imo he should of had wins over other opponents too, in the fight with Barbados Joe Walcott Langford was clearly outpointing him but Langford and Walcott were both put into fights where if they didn't KO their opponent the fight was declared a draw and neither would get a penny of the fight purse, I'm gonna guess that this is what happened in this fight. No doubt there were fights where the referee bet against him so the fight was declared a loss even though he clearly won, as with what happened to many other black boxers.

Harry Greb and Bob Fitzsimmons have just as strong an argument for #1 as Ray Robinson and Sam Langford imo, all have done great things and have incredible resumes.

Comment

skill wise,srr was miles ahead.langford was too crude for me.

Comment

Think as tough as it is getting to the top it is even harder to stay there. e.g. getting up at 5 a.m. and leaving your 50 room mansion to do your roadwork.
          For that reason as Langford through no fault of his own never got to the summit i'd mark him slightly down on SRR.
          Probably very unfairly but when you start looking at the likes of these 2 Greb etc you really need to split hairs.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseySugar View Post

No it doesn`t

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              No it doesn`t
              I don't take your opinion's seriouly anyway. Espcailly when you say things like ''What The **** Is Sam Langford's Claim To Fame'' What a stupid comment, coming from someone who is ment to have all these book's, and videos and has followed the sport for more than 30 years......Whatever

Comment

i would go with robinson do to the skill level. greb and langford about even. greb rarely losed and was a natural middle whereas langford was a good I75 to 85 and had his share of lossess; still he could ko his man- greb never could.

Comment

I rate them #1 and #2 p4p. Order don't really matter. Langford fought the better opposition but when wins and losses are equally taken into consideration, Robinson has the better resume.

Comment

Working...
                  X