Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marciano was overrated and not an ATG.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marciano was overrated and not an ATG.

Marciano was overrated. If he fought Liston isntead of being a chicken he would have bean beaten to a pulp. He struggled against slow old men like Walcott and a washed up Charles. I reckon most top heavies from each era would have wiped the floor with him. Do u really think he could stand in there with Big Klitchko, Lewis, Holyfied or even Samuel Peter?LOL. Way too easy to hit. He was lucky that Italians loved boxing at the time, it was number one in sports and he had no competition.

Only idiots who have no fight dvd's (i have 1000+ 500vhs) and haven't seen much would rate 'the rock'. The best of his era were old men, and even then he was getting outboxed by the painfully slow Jersey Joe Walcott (equivalent to a journeyman like glen johnson)just by looking at footage one can see he wouldn't stand a chance aginst a Prime Roy Jones, the old Hopkins or even our Clinton Woods! Never mind any genuine heavyweight. He didn't lose coz he didn't fight anybody. Look at all the best, they lost coz they fought the best. He knew he had to retire early or get ko'd by the up and coming fighters! Smart guy but still rubbish.

I've seen every major boxing match that took place in the past 100 years and every Marciano title fight. Walcott was an old slow man and even then he had to hit the man when he was down because he was being outboxed. Marciano is overrated because he was the white hope in a segragated America where they believed they were evolutionarily superior. Marciano never beat anybody decent in their prime and was lucky he was in a dead era. The truth is he was overrated and would lose to many of todays light heavyweights including Calzaghe Hopkins and maybe even Tarver. People who know boxing know he is not a top ten heavyweight. Don't get upset, it is the truth.

LOL some Marciano advocates believe Joe Louis was not totally over the hill when Marciano fought him!!! He was pulled out of retirment and looked more washed up than the shores of Blackpool. Just because Rocky was crap and made a meal out of him and the other old men he fought doesn't mean they were not washed up. Also he did not fight everyone around at his time and retired early to avoid the likes of Sonny liston, Cleveland Williams etc. Even so, it may not be his fault but still exposed his weaknesses. He struggled with Walcott who was average, slow and ever so OLD. It took a dirty shot and there was never to be a rematch in segregated america that needed their hero so bad. He was so easy to hit it was a joke. Completely outboxed for many rouns. Marciano would lose to David Haye in about 2 rounds.

I think he is not even in the top 20 in the heavyweight division of all time. It pisses me off when people think he was in the top 5 or even the best! ROFL. Why does he always pop up on p4p lists? He was absolutely ****!

marciano is as overrated as it gets! he fought many old men and struggled with them! he even got a couple of robbery wins!!! i agree liston would have killed him but to be honest i would favor marciano over lennox!!! lennox is the other most overrated heavyweight!!

and david haye would get stopped in the opening seconds of round 1 by marciano!

clinton woods would lose by way of homicide to marciano

the 1 thing marciano did have was heart

and hopkins couldn't beat an egg
    Last edited by Blue Öyster; 07-17-2008, 04:57 PM.

Comment

"Rocky Marciano wouldn't stand a chance with Clinton Woods."

Damn, that is some sig worthy crap right there.

I might suggest you follow another sport.

Comment

A lot of old champs are overrated, they built up their careers fighting tomato cans.

Boxing back then was just there to watch someone get beat up, its now developed into an ultra competitive sport.

Marciano did fight bums, and so did Joe Louis. Like come on a guy like tony galento wouldn't even make it past the health check nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          Boxing back then was just there to watch someone get beat up, its now developed into an ultra competitive sport.

i think the complete opposite!!!

Comment

I sort of a gree with you oyster on Lennox being a bit overrated, he never got that 1 big win to make him out to be a great champion. I still think he would take Marciano to school though.

Lennox fought a lot of "good" fighters, just not any great ones (Tyson and Holyfield were past it)

Comment

gotta disagree raf,he was an undersized undefeated heavyweight champ.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael Benitez View Post
                Marciano was overrated. If he fought Liston isntead of being a chicken he would have bean beaten to a pulp. He struggled against slow old men like Walcott and a washed up Charles. I reckon most top heavies from each era would have wiped the floor with him. Do u really think he could stand in there with Big Klitchko, Lewis, Holyfied or even Samuel Peter?LOL. Way too easy to hit. He was lucky that Italians loved boxing at the time, it was number one in sports and he had no competition.

Only idiots who have no fight dvd's (i have 1000+ 500vhs) and haven't seen much would rate 'the rock'. The best of his era were old men, and even then he was getting outboxed by the painfully slow Jersey Joe Walcott (equivalent to a journeyman like glen johnson)just by looking at footage one can see he wouldn't stand a chance aginst a Prime Roy Jones, the old Hopkins or even our Clinton Woods! Never mind any genuine heavyweight. He didn't lose coz he didn't fight anybody. Look at all the best, they lost coz they fought the best. He knew he had to retire early or get ko'd by the up and coming fighters! Smart guy but still rubbish.

I've seen every major boxing match that took place in the past 100 years and every Marciano title fight. Walcott was an old slow man and even then he had to hit the man when he was down because he was being outboxed. Marciano is overrated because he was the white hope in a segragated America where they believed they were evolutionarily superior. Marciano never beat anybody decent in their prime and was lucky he was in a dead era. The truth is he was overrated and would lose to many of todays light heavyweights including Calzaghe Hopkins and maybe even Tarver. People who know boxing know he is not a top ten heavyweight. Don't get upset, it is the truth.

LOL some Marciano advocates believe Joe Louis was not totally over the hill when Marciano fought him!!! He was pulled out of retirment and looked more washed up than the shores of Blackpool. Just because Rocky was crap and made a meal out of him and the other old men he fought doesn't mean they were not washed up. Also he did not fight everyone around at his time and retired early to avoid the likes of Sonny liston, Cleveland Williams etc. Even so, it may not be his fault but still exposed his weaknesses. He struggled with Walcott who was average, slow and ever so OLD. It took a dirty shot and there was never to be a rematch in segregated america that needed their hero so bad. He was so easy to hit it was a joke. Completely outboxed for many rouns. Marciano would lose to David Haye in about 2 rounds.

I think he is not even in the top 20 in the heavyweight division of all time. It pisses me off when people think he was in the top 5 or even the best! ROFL. Why does he always pop up on p4p lists? He was absolutely ****!

didn't read lol

Comment

"Even so, it may not be his fault but still exposed his weaknesses. He struggled with Walcott who was average, slow and ever so OLD. It took a dirty shot and there was never to be a rematch in segregated america that needed their hero so bad."

****ing idiot, there was a rematch. Walcott got destroyed in the first round. It should be noted like Ezzard Charles in his rematch with Marciano, Joe was unusually timid of being hit and folded as a result.

What prevents me from ranking Marciano as high as Ali, Holmes, and Louis would be the lack of title defenses. Not really his fault as he was somewhat old for a boxer and banged up before he even turned pro but certainly a fair criticism. It also would have been nice to see him against up and comers like Patterson, Jackson, Williams, and Liston regardless the outcome. Liston would have had the best shot at beating him I believe, very tough guy to swarm as Patterson found out.
                  Last edited by Thunder Lips; 07-17-2008, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Marciano might not be up there in the top ten for fantasy boxing matchups, but hes for sure top ten for accomplishments.

Comment

Working...
                    X