Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did Fury suddenly become champion?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The crap that people become emotional over...this is what happens when so many people grow up without men around to teach logical concepts and when to express oneself:

The Lineal Title conceptually was a way to create incentive to have one champ undisputed...to attach some formality to this procedure in an era when so many champions and alphabet soup create confusion.

But there is no reason to get so emotional over it: It works well when it does what it is supposed to do. In this case, Fury's situation is exactly what creates problems for this informal title. So...you call Fury the lineal champ, look wasn't Spinks the lineal for a while? it does not necessarily mean the best, technically it means "the man who beat the man."

So lets look at this logically: If someone said to you, "I have all these champions at the same weight class, one guy beat a guy who somewhere down the line unified the titles and was a strong champion, the rest of the guys beat unheard of contenders" what fighter would you consider the best? Thats where the title works well.

On the other hand, if someone said to you "I have a guy who stopped fighting after beating the best and two other guys who have beat very strong fighters in interm." Then the title does not mean much does it?

My understanding is that the lineal, somewhere down the line had to unify the titles... and that can be very important because of the competition involved.

Finally here is a great example: In my club it took 5 years to get a Black Belt, in some clubs it took a little over a year. So who would you rather walk down a dark alley with to back you up? Black Belts all look the same, they are black and cloth. But some black belts mean a lot more than others. It depends on the quality control and provisions that help someone get the belt.

People have known these things informally for ages. You go to Baltimore and ask to fight a Black Belt, now go to the mall and see who you will fight...Now ask for one of Riley Hawkins students who is a black belt... Remember as the foot goes up your butt and your nose gets beaten off that they are both black belts, but one really seems to be able to hit you a lot harder!
    Last edited by billeau2; 09-25-2018, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
      Read my reply again and stop being a dick rider you're the one constantly making threads sucking off Hearn and AJ how the **** are YOU going to call someone s fanboy
      Show me one place where I did either of those things.

Pointing out how utterly ******ed you are, doesn't automatically make me a fanboy of the guy you hate with everything in you.

You think like that because you're a fanboy, and therefore you believe other people think like you.

Comment

The same guy New England who said Fury was catastrophically bad on the night he fought Klitschko, now says he's 'the lineal champ'

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
          The same guy New England who said Fury was catastrophically bad on the night he fought Klitschko, now says he's 'the lineal champ'

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Comment

Sine when do drug cheats who get banned for 2 years keep their titles? Pathetic Wilder fans trying to give him honours he doesn't deserve that's what it comes down to. None of the major boxing sites recognise Fury as lineal. Because he isn't.

Comment

And? Shannon Briggs was lineal champ. Leon Spinks was Lineal Champ. Saying someone is bad doesn’t mean they aren’t lineal champion.

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
                The two aren't mutually exclusive.
                That's true, but isn't it funny how one person refers to him as the worst heavyweight champ in history, and 3 years and 200lbs later, he's the champ

Make of it what you will

Comment

I still class him as ‘lineal’ but to me that diesnt mean he is ‘the champ’

Lineal has no rules, no rankings, doesnt force you to fight top contenders, doesn’t force you to fight at all.

The HW Championship of the World is vacant. Wilder (2) vs Joshua (1), or whoever beats them, would establish the new champ.

Comment

no i don't. i've made countless posts arguing exactly the opposite. want me to find them and make you look like a liar, or will you just believe me?

you are a lying cheerleader. i'm not perfect, but i'm so much more honest and informed than you are that we are in completely different classes as boxing fans.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X