No announcement yet.

Toughest Division in Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toughest Division in Boxing

Hey guys, I was wondering what you guys would consider the toughest division in boxing, now and traditionally in the past. Also to make my intentions clear, I'll give an example. Currently there is some real big talent at welterweight but heavy weight is sorely lacking, hence a decent or good fighter at heavy weight can win belts and a B+ fight can possibly dominate the division. However in welterweight B+ just makes you a stepping stone and tune up fight for the surfeit of A's in the welter weight division.

For simplicity lets also unify weights i.e. Middle weight and Super middle can just be considered middle weight.

Originally posted by Left2body
    Hey guys, I was wondering what you guys would consider the toughest division in boxing, now and traditionally in the past. Also to make my intentions clear, I'll give an example. Currently there is some real big talent at welterweight but heavy weight is sorely lacking, hence a decent or good fighter at heavy weight can win belts and a B+ fight can possibly dominate the division. However in welterweight B+ just makes you a stepping stone and tune up fight for the surfeit of A's in the welter weight division.

For simplicity lets also unify weights i.e. Middle weight and Super middle can just be considered middle weight.
    Featherweight-Superfeatherweight

You got.. Pacquiao, Morales, Barrera, Juan Marquez, Jorge Barrios, Rocky Juarez, Chris John, Scott Harrison, Joan Guzman, InJinChi.. should I keep adding?

Anyways, Welterweight is just below this division.

Comment

I don't know how I'd rank the divisions historically, but as far as alltime depth to the divisions;

The Featherweight, Lightweight, Welterweight, Middleweight, and Light Heavyweight divisions have all had tremendous depth of great fighters & talent throughout their histories. Flyweight, Heavyweight, and to a lesser extent, Bantamweight...not so much so.

P.S. 160 lbs is the Middleweight limit, so anybody weighing more than that (like a SMW) would've been a Light Heavyweight under the original eight.

Comment

I'm not as familiar with some on boxing in the 40's-70's, but as far as contemporary times I would have to say the Welter Weights, So many top fighters and possible FOTY are just waiting to be brought out.

Comment

Working...
        X