No announcement yet.

Is Winky Wright underrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Winky Wright underrated?

He doesnt have the most dazzeling style but I really admire his defensive skills.

I feel like he is really good at covering up and countering with short range punches.

What do you guys think? Is Winky Wrights one of the best conventional defensive boxers?

Would love to see his hands up style vs martinezes hands down style!

yeah he is

Comment

Originally posted by Box"K"ing View Post
      He doesnt have the most dazzeling style but I really admire his defensive skills.

I feel like he is really good at covering up and countering with short range punches.

What do you guys think? Is Winky Wrights one of the best conventional defensive boxers?

I think he is but casual fans I know who've seen him thinks hes damn good so to an extent yes if he didn't price him self out he'd be a house hold name.

On the Martinez fight I think it play out something like Taylor vs wright except winky wins by slowing martinez down with thundering body shots and hard left hands he won't out jab Martinez tho even tho winky has a killer jab he'll be foucsed on power punches and feints more so then winning a jabbing contest.

Comment

He used to be. I think he gets his due now though. I think the majority of people on this site would pick him to beat everyone thats out there at 154 and 160 today.

I say that as a huge backer of his. A bit disappointed he came in flabby vs hopkins, think he could have beat him with a high work rate and that he didnt make the DLH fight because of his ego as far as purse splits because he would have beat DLH pretty easy. But he gets his due now.

Mosley deserves a ton of credit for making that fight. He could have easily picked someone easier than Winky. Winky was sent back to ESPN land after his "loss" to Vargas meanwhile vargas got the Tito fight, gets stopped and gets rewarded with a DLH fight soon after. If mosley never made that fight then winky would have been really underrated

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
          He used to be. I think he gets his due now though. I think the majority of people on this site would pick him to beat everyone thats out there at 154 and 160 today.

I say that as a huge backer of his. A bit disappointed he came in flabby vs hopkins, think he could have beat him with a high work rate and that he didnt make the DLH fight because of his ego as far as purse splits because he would have beat DLH pretty easy. But he gets his due now.

Mosley deserves a ton of credit for making that fight. He could have easily picked someone easier than Winky. Winky was sent back to ESPN land after his "loss" to Vargas meanwhile vargas got the Tito fight, gets stopped and gets rewarded with a DLH fight soon after. If mosley never made that fight then winky would have been really underrated
          winky could have landed a fight vs ODLH but he priced himself out

Comment

Originally posted by Box"K"ing View Post

He's one of the most skilled fighters I've seen and yeah his defense was great and he had a great consistent jab to complement it.

You already saw what a decently skilled boxer with high guard and ok jab can do to Martinez in the Barker fight, imagine what Winky would have done to Martinez...

Comment

Great jab, great defense. Overall just a great fighter in his prime.

I'd say he's going to the HOF eventually, and I wouldn't object to it.

Comment

There is no doubt Winky was underrated. In his prime he was a real handful his defensive skills were second to none. He was a great spoiler and could break down his opponent's game because of that his fights were not that attractive to watch and as a result he did not get the credit he deserves.

Comment

Man winky wright is one of my favorite boxers his style was very fun to watch to me. He came at you with that high guard and stuck that jab and straight left at you all night. Loved his fight against Tito never seen any body more schooled in a fight lol. His fight with Taylor is an underrated classic. Miss him and JT!

Comment

I think he is rated pretty highly by most considering what he actually achieved. I don't think I have ever heard anyone say Winky was anything other than an excellent fighter. He catches some flack for his demands money wise for certain fights that would have been interesting, but when it comes down to how he fought he never gets anything but mad respect.

So I think he is rated just fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X