No announcement yet.

fat loss

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fat loss

im in the process of losing weight now up until september when the season starts so il hopefully reach my target weight by then......once this weight is reached how do i go about losing bodyfat withought losing/gaining actual weight?

Consider fat and muscle tissue as seperate en******. it is a simple equation: If you burn more callories than you ingest you will lose weight. Also, if you maintain a positive nitrogen balance (protein)you will allow your muscle tissue to grow (hypertrophy)or at least stabilise. Fat loss is best achieved via moderate (70% VO 2 max) cardicascular activity. Muscle mass is best achieved via resistance training (wieghts). Just remember to be SPECIFIC in your traing goals, all ok?

Comment

so if iv reached my desired weight and want to lose excess bodyfat i should do running/swimming (when not boxing training) because by doing weights i will gain weight but while doing the cv i should eat more protein or i will lose more weight..........right???

Comment

Running /swimming are fine, your aeorbic fitness gains will croosover to some degree to your chosen activity. If your goal is loss of fat tissue then duration of moderate ctivity is the key, usually the longer the better. If you stay at the moderate level you will burn fat (process calledxidative phosphoralation) rather than glycogen as in explosive activities.

High protein levels are good. If you have excess the body uses the rest as a carb anyway. But remember that any calories not burnt of (carbs, fat, proteins, alcohol) will be stored as fat.

I also doubt that the weight traing would add significanty to your overall weight.

It is difficult to assess your needs without the specifics of your goals, traing, etc However, the same principles of sport science and medicine can be applied to any sport. Stretching, flexibility and core stability should be added to any serious sporting traing programme to reduce the risk of injury and increase performance (under rated i think)

Comment

Originally posted by Chiro/Physio
          Running /swimming are fine, your aeorbic fitness gains will croosover to some degree to your chosen activity. If your goal is loss of fat tissue then duration of moderate ctivity is the key, usually the longer the better. If you stay at the moderate level you will burn fat (process calledxidative phosphoralation) rather than glycogen as in explosive activities.

High protein levels are good. If you have excess the body uses the rest as a carb anyway. But remember that any calories not burnt of (carbs, fat, proteins, alcohol) will be stored as fat.

I also doubt that the weight traing would add significanty to your overall weight.

It is difficult to assess your needs without the specifics of your goals, traing, etc However, the same principles of sport science and medicine can be applied to any sport. Stretching, flexibility and core stability should be added to any serious sporting traing programme to reduce the risk of injury and increase performance (under rated i think)
          Now here is a person who knows what they are talking about. What qualifications do you have in this field? Or have you just followed sports science for a considerable amount of time in your life.

Karma coming your way bro.

Keep posting, this site needs people like you and spinksjinx around.

Comment

my goals are getting down to 140 (148 at the moment) before september and once i get down to 140 (by diet and exercise) to keep this weight and basically get ripped/hard/lean body.

Comment

I have a question: If you reach "your desired weight", why would you want to lose excess bodyfat??
              Your target weight should be wherever you end up, once all the excess fat is gone.

Comment

dont want to go any lower than 140 and once i get there want to get ripped without losing anymore weight

Comment

I certainly don't agree with your assesment that moderate activity is the key to fat loss. First of all, moderate excercise does NOT carry over to boxing.
                  Second, "Aerobic exercise has been linked with the release of the catabolic hormone cortisol, which is antagonistic to the development of lean muscle mass. Cortisol also promotes conservation of glucose and encourages the use of fat. This might sound good on the surface, but you also become as efficient as a Honda Civic running for 80 kilometers on one gallon of gas. Then you are just like those people going for hours at a time on machines, only to utilize miniscule amounts of fat. Seriously - there are thousands of overweight individuals each year who complete marathons. Now completing a marathon is damn impressive to me. However it shows that the aerobic fitness needed to complete a marathon doesn't have anything necessarily to do with creating a fat loss effect. So if you are capable of two to three hours of steady state running and still not be burning enough fat - we can either go to a higher intensity or you can try four hours of running. Any takers for the latter?
                  In terms of fat loss - calories burned are the most important factor. And aerobic training burns less calories than anaerobic training and weight training overall (besides doing very little to increase your metabolism -your body's calorie burning engine).
                  So if we accept that lean mass is a major factor in your fat burning engine - and aerobic training makes that engine smaller (i.e. less muscle) and more efficient at burning fat (remember more efficient means it burns LESS) - how can having a smaller more efficient fat burning machine burn more fat? It doesn't."

I recommend hard boxing workouts, that focus on anaerobic endurance. For running, do hill sprints and intervals, at higher intensities.
                  If you're serious about going to a certain weight, where you will still have excess body fat, you should look into weight training. With weights you can burn off fat, by increasing your lean mass, and thereby your metabolism. The other benefit of this is, that by increasing muscle, you'll be able to keep your weightup, even as you lose fat.

Comment

I appreciate your feedback. It is true of course that in the short term, anaerobic, glycolytic respiration/activity will burn more callories. However, the glycogen stores in your blood, muscles and liver will be deleted quickly.

Punchdrunk is absolutely right in terms of specificity of training methods.

If you check my response I was referring to the most specific way to burn fat as an energy source, outside of boxing specific training, and that moderate activity(aerobic) does have a crossover affect relative to boxing(in terms aerobic capacity and loss of body fat). I can find references, but looking at any good sports journal will help with your questions. I am a charterd Physio and a Doctor of Chiropractic btw Exig, just interested in the noble art.

Comment

Working...
                    X