No announcement yet.

Junior Jones?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior Jones?

Was he a underachiver? Did he reach his full potential?

Defeat peak MAB twice, becoming the first to beat him. Real skilled, fast and could punch.

Also defeated 31-0 Jorge Eliecer Julio, Orlando Canizales, Tom Johnson, Tracy Harris Patterson. But at times could blow real hot and cold.

Thoughts?

Yea good fighter with a suspect chin and sometimes stamina issues. Very exciting but his prime didn't last long, possibly due to the punishment he absorbed and troubles making weight.

Comment

He was definitely an underachiever.

He should have cleaned up the division, but I think winning the title got to his head.

He probably spent a lot of time enjoying money, fame, women, alcohol and maybe some drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseySugar View Post

Defeat peak MAB twice, becoming the first to beat him. Real skilled, fast and could punch.

Also defeated 31-0 Jorge Eliecer Julio, Orlando Canizales, Tom Johnson, Tracy Harris Patterson. But at times could blow real hot and cold.

Thoughts?
        He reminded me of a miniature Tommy Hearns with very similar flaws and strengths. His 2 wins over Barrera were easily his greatest performances. Fought with lots of heart in the 2nd fight

Comment

Could have been elite if it wasn't for the glass jaw. He's pretty close to elite tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
            Could have been elite if it wasn't for the glass jaw. He's pretty close to elite tho.
            I agree. The difference between him and Jeff Chandler was that Chandler had a great chin and stamina. That is what made Chandler an elite fighter and where Jones falls short.

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
              I agree. The difference between him and Jeff Chandler was that Chandler had a great chin and stamina. That is what made Chandler an elite fighter and where Jones falls short.
              Agreed, but he was a bigger puncher than Chandler (though technically a bit sloppier).

Comment

Originally posted by mhager91490 View Post
                Agreed, but he was a bigger puncher than Chandler (though technically a bit sloppier).
                He had a better right hand, but Chandler was a better inside fighter, while Jones was dangerous on the outside. If Jones had Chandler's heart and chin, he would have been an ATG

Comment

Originally posted by JerseySugar View Post

Thoughts?
                  Sir I noticed you ask alot of questions, are you just provoking conversation?

Comment

Many thought Barrera deserved the nod in the rematch, and he went on to get KO'ed by fighters Barrera beat.

Comment

Working...
                    X