No announcement yet.

Jumping Rope

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping Rope

I'm curious on what jumping ropes really do to you.
    Which is better, jumping ropes or running/jogging? or both?
    Someone please explain this to me. I want to burn body fat. Especially my belly fat. Thanks!

Depends which your best at. If you want to get rid of fat around your midsection do ab work after running.

Comment

According to a study that was recently done, jumping rope burns more fat than running, jogging, swimming or just about any simple exercise you can do.

Plus, it also helps with your footwork if you do it properly and like a boxer should. Everything in the boxing gym is tied together for footwork, defense and offense.

Comment

HErpaderperperp Derp.

Comment

get a leather jumprope and try doing that for like 30 minutes straight, works your shoulders, your back, your calves, your thighs. great workout.

Comment

I must admit I'm a keen runner and a keen skipper.

But there is no two ways about it, running is a better cardio exercise for building fitness.

In response to what Mr 1502 says about it burning fat better than anything else, it really comes down to pace of the exercise, not just the exercise itself. If you run 30 minutes hard you'll burn more fat than 30 minutes of skipping at a moderate pace.

If I speedskip for half an hour with allsorts of double jumps, crossovers, knee lifts and step variations it wont leave me anywhere as tired as trying to run 4.5-5 miles in the same time. I guess that is because the legs get lifted higher in running at a good 6-7 minute mile pace......and you have to keep to that pace by stopwatch!

Remember too that running different routes keeps training fresh, with skipping you are largely confined to where you skip in one place. Half an hour plus or repeated rounds with nothing to stare at (unless there are gorgeous girls about!) can be a bit tedious day in day out.

Also its easy to cheat a little with skipping, you can slow down at any point or avoid doing doubles etc if you are a bit tired. With a timed run, you need to push to meet your pace or beat your last time. Skipping offers very little measurable improvement.

That said, skipping is a great exercise, excellent for coordination and especially for boxing footwork (better than running as you are more closely mirroring movements in the ring).

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
              According to a study that was recently done, jumping rope burns more fat than running, jogging, swimming or just about any simple exercise you can do.

Plus, it also helps with your footwork if you do it properly and like a boxer should. Everything in the boxing gym is tied together for footwork, defense and offense.
              skipping is also good for the shoulder.

anyway, am interested in that study hope you can give the link so i might check the validity of that study. thank you.

Comment

Thanks for all your inputs. Hope to see more.

Originally posted by paulsinghnl View Post
                get a leather jumprope and try doing that for like 30 minutes straight, works your shoulders, your back, your calves, your thighs. great workout.
                Aww I just bought a ALTUS one which I think is rubber.
                Why leather by the way?

Comment

Originally posted by Inonly25 View Post
                  Thanks for all your inputs. Hope to see more.

Aww I just bought a ALTUS one which I think is rubber.
                  Why leather by the way?
                  leather doesnt kink that much and easier to use. but it all depends on your comfortability. when you are good and fast enough to jump rope, you can use the weighted one.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post

How exactly should a boxer jump rope?

Comment

Working...
                    X