Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Roy Nelson Be A Better Fighter If He Lost A Significant Amount Of Weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Roy Nelson Be A Better Fighter If He Lost A Significant Amount Of Weight?

I'm of the opinion that weight loss may do more harm than good.

The fact is that he has put his weight to good use on the ground and that belly does make it harder for his opponents to get him off of them. Being slim would give him greater flexibility and could result in his using his hips and legs more, so I could see this having mixed results.

Nelson is not a greatly skilled stand-up fighter, but what he does have is a good chin and a powerful right hand. Were he to slim down I believe that those things would be reduced, and while he might become faster I don't think that's a beneficial trade-off.

To me he seemed to tire against Arlovski, so losing weight would help him in that way if he's doing more cardio work and eating better. But even then, Chris Arreola is fat and can fight hard and take punishment for 12 rounds, so it's possible that Nelson could improve his stamina without actually losing much weight.
    Losing weight would make him a better fighter
    60.00%
    Losing weight would make him a worse fighter
    30.00%
    He'd be about as good as he is now
    10.00%

I think it is obvious that he would be, but it seems as if he's trying to make a point about being fat.

Comment

He probably could fight at middleweight if he tried. So yes,It would make him a better fighter. All that fat is useless weight he is carrying around.

Comment

Better fighter? obviously yes.

Would he have more success? Nope.

He's a jack of all trades, master of none. The HW division is perfect for him. If he lost 40 pounds of weight he would fight in the LHW and would get rapped by the technically superior fighters there.

Comment

not really. he uses his weight to his advantage by laying on people and tireing them out ect

Comment

It would make him a middleweight.....

Comment

someone needs to chop that belly off

Comment

you know dropping a little bit of weight couldnt hurt...i mean if he dropped down to how he looked in 2003 when he grappled frank mir...i think it could do him some good.

Comment

Working...
                X