No announcement yet.

switching to southpaw?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching to southpaw?

today i was sparring,and was losin a lil bit,so i switched into southpaw for about 10 seconds just out of curiosity,and jus jabbed his head off with my right till he backed away,then switched back and fought in my normal stance and got the best of him

has anybody ever done this?

oh and are theyre any reasons why i shouldnt do this?

Comment

Originally posted by azza View Post
      oh and are theyre any reasons why i shouldnt do this?
      dont switch right in front of him,he could get your legs mixed and burst your ass if he tags u

Comment

yeh i made sure he didnt see me do it

Comment

today i was sparring,and was losin a lil bit,so i switched into southpaw for about 10 seconds just out of curiosity,and jus jabbed his head off with my right till he backed away,then switched back and fought in my normal stance and got the best of him

I was takin quite a bit of punishment once and I decided to switch to orthodox to try and throw him off a bit. I wasn't careful enough and he caught me with a big right as I switched. I pulled myself together but I haven't bothered to switch mid round again after that incident!

Comment

i've tried it got tagged pretty hardcore because i wasn't used to defending from that angle and never tried it again. but i bet it would have worked better if i wasn't 290 at the time.

Comment

i do it sometimes, but my trainer makes me train southpaw sometimes cuz he thinks its good for balance. so it works for me, but i can throw a straight left as good as any southpaw.

Comment

All the time, when I'm sparring and start getting fatigued I switch into a Winky Wright style, high guard southpaw style.

Because your naturally right handed your jab is going to be a little stronger and I use it to get a breather. But I'm almost in love with the style. My trainers aren't all for it as it eliminates my left hook from the arsenal, but the **** works. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldenboyprm View Post
                  All the time, when I'm sparring and start getting fatigued I switch into a Winky Wright style, high guard southpaw style.

Because your naturally right handed your jab is going to be a little stronger and I use it to get a breather. But I'm almost in love with the style. My trainers aren't all for it as it eliminates my left hook from the arsenal, but the **** works. Period.
                  It may eliminate your left hook but man can you dig a solid hook with your right hand when in close. I love to dig it under and then bring it over, hard shots they are while traveling a very short distance.............Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                    It may eliminate your left hook but man can you dig a solid hook with your right hand when in close. I love to dig it under and then bring it over, hard shots they are while traveling a very short distance.............Rockin'
                    True, true.

The right hook does feel somewhat awkward to me, as my left hook is more natural punch and I've been told that "if I ever used my left hook on the street, that I'd been going to jail." I use all 6 feet and 6 inches to leverage into the hook when I'm conventional, but it seems like when I try the right hook my hips don't create that leverage.

It's all one-two's when I'm southpaw.

Rockin', What do you think are some of the disadvantages of Winky Wrights style compared to a basic conventional stance?

Comment

Working...
                    X