No announcement yet.

The Angulo/Rivera fight shoulda been stopped earlier

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D-Omonist View Post
    I agree that Angulo was walking through them, but it is boxing and you can get lucky! I think the ref stopped it just in time. If it would have been sooner then I think a lot of people on Rivera's team (including his fans) would have been pissed.

when you're 86 years old and get 2 days notice like rivera, you dont get lucky...you have a better chance of getting a concussion or dying...im a pretty sadistic dude and very critical of early stoppages but in this case, i was all for ending that misery earlier

Comment

If this was like a championship fight I would have agreed with the ref, because while Angulo was landing big shots, Rivera WAS throwing back, the dude was concious. But considering this fight was next to meaningless, and it's not like he was giving the champion the benefit of the doubt or anything, I agree it should have been stopped a little sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by Makavelli View Post
        when you're 86 years old and get 2 days notice like rivera, you dont get lucky...you have a better chance of getting a concussion or dying...im a pretty sadistic dude and very critical of early stoppages but in this case, i was all for ending that misery earlier
        I don't care how old you are if you have a little punching power you CAN get lucky. I think the ref ended the fight correctly. It did not come to a death or even a concussion...but a little bit longer...well who knows?

Comment

I think once a guy's head starts rocking back after every punche you have to look carefully at maybe stopping the fight.

Comment

I don't care how old you are if you have a little punching power you CAN get lucky. I think the ref ended the fight correctly. It did not come to a death or even a concussion...but a little bit longer...well who knows?

the only luck that came for Rivera was the commission calling a halt to the fight...i think the ref needs to watch the ring-casualty archives and learn a thing or two about 'protecting fighters from themselves'

Comment

Originally posted by lefhooktodabody View Post
              I think once a guy's head starts rocking back after every punche you have to look carefully at maybe stopping the fight.

yes...when you look like a pez dispenser and walk around like a newborn giraffe after every combo you eat, the ref should start thinking about stopping the contest

Comment

Originally posted by lefhooktodabody View Post
                I can't stop looking at your avatar!

Comment

Originally posted by Makavelli View Post
                  the only luck that came for Rivera was the commission calling a halt to the fight...i think the ref needs to watch the ring-casualty archives and learn a thing or two about 'protecting fighters from themselves'
                  Funny. Fair enough. I better not take up boxing then cause I wouldn't have wanted the fight to stop.

Comment

Funny. Fair enough. I better not take up boxing then cause I wouldn't have wanted the fight to stop.

no boxer ever wants their fight to be stopped...if anything, you better not take up being a ref...we'd have a bunch of dead journeymen on your watch..lol

Comment

The ref was not doing his part I agree. I dont know if he was inexperienced or what but he just couldnt make up his mind.

I place more blame on the corner though. They are the ones who should be protecting their fighter. If they got an inexperienced twat of a ref in there it is up to them to protect the fighter and throw in the towel. I dont know what the official rules were under yesterdays fight but normally all they have to do is throw in the towel or sometimes they climb into the ring. Whether that officially stops it or not under the certain rules of yesterdays fight, the ref would get the clue that its over if the corner men are entering the ring. Another reason a national commision needs to be formed with unified rules for all fights.

Comment

Working...
                      X