No announcement yet.

The Curious Case of Chico Rosa

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Curious Case of Chico Rosa

I was poking around boxrec today and I came across one of the weirdest stories I have ever seen. Chico Rosa went into his fight with Sandy Saddler 29-1. He beat Saddler, one of only 4 times he was ever bested at featherweight. That's a hell of a win. But after that, he went 2-21-2 to finish off at 32-22-2! How does something like that happen? There wasn't a long layoff or anything, he was back in the ring within three months. He just completely lost it. Does anyone know what happened with this guy?

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
    I was poking around boxrec today and I came across one of the weirdest stories I have ever seen. Chico Rosa went into his fight with Sandy Saddler 29-1. He beat Saddler, one of only 4 times he was ever bested at featherweight. That's a hell of a win. But after that, he went 2-21-2 to finish off at 32-22-2! How does something like that happen? There wasn't a long layoff or anything, he was back in the ring within three months. He just completely lost it. Does anyone know what happened with this guy?
    Maybe he took a brutal beating? Dodgy decision, shifty promoters...... Could also have simply lost interest. Quite fascinating though.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
      Maybe he took a brutal beating? Dodgy decision, shifty promoters...... Could also have simply lost interest. Quite fascinating though.
      Wether it was a dodgy decision or not, fighting Saddler is never the best of experiences, maybe Saddler's roughhousing could of ruined him ?.

Did a quick search and can't seem to find any newspaper articles on the fight, if it was a robbery you think there would've been one pop up straight away.

Edit: Just read an article reporting his death and it says
      Rosa's biggest victory came over Saddler before 13,000 at Honolulu Stadium in 1948. Rosa overcame repeated low blows to take a split decision. "Saddler should have been disqualified, but Chico still won the fight," Lee recalled.
      Sounds like Saddler's dirty tactics got too him.

Comment

"Yeah man, I never recovered from a barrage of nut punches by Sandy Saddler back in '51. Just totally took the wind out of my sails"

Comment

Interesting.

I had a quick look at his record & saw his first & second losses were both to Dado Marino, the excellent Hawaiian Flyweight.....

Who also beat a fighter named Gus Rosa FIVE times. Gus was also from Honolulu so I am guessing he's a brother of Chico.

The other thing to note is that 25 of Chico's 30 fights prior to meeting Saddler had taken place in his hometown of Honolulu - whereas his last 20 bouts were all in the mainland US (+1 in Canada). That could explain a lot about close decisions either way.

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post
            Interesting.

I had a quick look at his record & saw his first & second losses were both to Dado Marino, the excellent Hawaiian Flyweight.....

Who also beat a fighter named Gus Rosa FIVE times. Gus was also from Honolulu so I am guessing he's a brother of Chico.

The other thing to note is that 25 of Chico's 30 fights prior to meeting Saddler had taken place in his hometown of Honolulu - whereas his last 20 bouts were all in the mainland US (+1 in Canada). That could explain a lot about close decisions either way.
            I didn't even think to look at the location. Maybe he got a little too big for his britches after catching Saddler on an off night? Came to the mainland and was in over his head or something.

On another note, how awkward is Thanksgiving when you've beaten your brother 5 times ? "Pass the turkey, you turkey!"

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
              On another note, how awkward is Thanksgiving when you've beaten your brother 5 times ? "Pass the turkey, you turkey!"
              Sorry, I probably didn't make it clear. Dado Marino beat Chico twice & Gus 4 times - with one draw. Chico & Gus never met in the ring, officially at least.

There was also another fighter in Honolulu at the time named Tiger Rosa who lost to Gus Rosa. Possibly another family member.

I'm going to guess that the Hawaiian Boxing Commission just after WWII wasn't under the most stringent observation and some of the records may not be accurate.

Comment

And having a quick look at more Hawaiian Rosa's there's a Charley who had a fight in 1929 (Father? Uncle?).

Would be interesting to find out more about this (possible) fighting family.

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post
                  And having a quick look at more Hawaiian Rosa's there's a Charley who had a fight in 1929 (Father? Uncle?).

Would be interesting to find out more about this (possible) fighting family.
                  Did you find anything??

Comment

Working...
                  X