Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bryant Jennings to face Steve Collins in June (Interview)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bryant Jennings to face Steve Collins in June (Interview)

A Boxing talk Interview

John McCormick: Bryant, the boxing world got a chance to see you once again a few weeks ago on the Zab Judah-Vernon Paris undercard. You faced Sergei Liakhovich [stopping the former WBO titlist in the ninth round] and looked phenomenal. Was it easy as it looked?

Bryant Jennings: It wasn’t as easy as it looked. I wasn’t expecting it to go as smoothly as it did but I didn’t run into any problems that I couldn’t deal with.

JM: Now you are only 13-0 and yet you are facing very tough opposition early in your career compared to other heavyweights at similar stages of their careers. How does it feel to have your career progressing as fast as it is?

Bryant Jennings: It is great. Even this past fight with Liakhovich, I was faced with a tough opponent but I still succeeded with very little fights. I have only been pro now for two years, and my only regret is not going to the Olympics as an amateur. I am sure I could’ve gone to the Olympics but I am satisfied with where my career is heading right now. I am moving in the right direction.

JM: At the rate that your career is progressing, when do you hope to get a title shot?

Bryant Jennings: I look at it like this: I couldn’t possibly do any worse than any of those guys that have already stepped into the ring with the Klitschko brothers. It’s a mental thing. Don’t get me wrong, I am physically in shape, I have great technique. If you seen my last fight you can see that I have a lot of things that other fighters don’t have. I have will like crazy; my drive is like no other. I am ready for a title shot physically. Experience however comes over time. The boxing game is more mental than anything. As long as you keep your composure in the ring it’ll come. I mean I have very little experience right now but I am fighting like I do have it. Sometimes you have to act experience out and break the rules and get done what needs to be done.

JM: Eddie Chambers and Tomasz Adamek will be facing each other on the next NBC Sports Fight Night card on June 16 in Newark, New Jersey. As of right now, does it appear that you’ll be fighting on that card as well?

Bryant Jennings: Yes, I’ll be on that card. I mean I haven’t officially signed yet but it has already been agreed that I will fight Steve Collins from Texas, who is 25-1, on that undercard.

JM: I know you are from Philadelphia and so is Eddie Chambers, do you and him have a close friendship? What do you think of his upcoming fight with Adamek?

Bryant Jennings: Eddie is really cool and he is just another great fighter from a long list of great fighters from a great city. As far as that fight is concerned, they both have a great chance. I do see some flaws that Tomasz had in his last fight. He has a lot that he needs to work on. I know that Eddie is a perfectionist and I am sure that they will both come prepared but I saw a lot that Tomasz needs to work on. It’ll be a good fast fight but I would have to pick Eddie to win.

JM: We all know that the heavyweight division has been ruled by the Klitschko brothers for almost the past decade. With American heavyweight prospects such as Seth Mitchell and yourself, do you feel hopeful that the heavyweight division can be relevant again in America?

Bryant Jennings: Yeah I think so. I feel I have a great chance, especially with the path that I am on right now, I feel that I have a great chance. I think Seth Mitchell has a chance also but he needs to work on some things like sitting back sometimes and using a little more technique. The Klitschko brothers are very, very smart and are great champions but I feel that I have a great chance.

JM: Any closing thoughts for the fans?

Bryant Jennings: Yeah, I appreciate all of my fans and everybody that believes in me. I show no love to the critics and no love to the haters and thank you to everyone that believed in me since day one.

Really nice card.

He's becoming a project for the NBC Sports Network.

Good stuff.

Comment

u had me thinking its was the irish SMW coming out of retirement for a minute

Comment

Originally posted by gingeralbino View Post
        u had me thinking its was the irish SMW coming out of retirement for a minute
        lol. Nah................

Comment

celtic steve collins?

the middleweight // supermiddleweight?

is he in his 50's?

surely it's not the same guy..

oh phew

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?cat...uman_id=175447

it's not ^^

Comment

Jennings is a solid prospect, they should take their time building him up but with NBC digging him I am sure he will get moved fairly quick.

He has a lot of natural talent but he could use a lot of polish.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
              Anybody saw that Collins maybe?
              Looks like a crude brawler with some power.

Should be a nice showcase fight for Jennings.

Comment

Jennings vs a big guy like Michael Grant would be a nice step up next.

Comment

Working...
                X