No announcement yet.

Juan Diaz (no weights just swimming)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juan Diaz (no weights just swimming)

Anyone else here during the commentary that Juan Diaz, who was in phenominal shape, didnt lift weights or do road work, instead he swims for his cardio?

Lennox commented that this gives him those leaner muscles that are good for stamina. Instead of those hugely muscular bodies that get tend to tire out quicker. I dont know much about the benefits of swimming, but thinking about it logically it makes some sense to swim since you get a lot of arm and sholder excercise, so you wont punch yourself out as quickly. Anyone have an ideas on this?

BTW it seems to be working for Diaz, his punches stayed crisp throughout fight without any signficant loss of handspeed while Cotto seemed to fade after first couple of rounds.

Originally posted by Left2body
    Anyone else here during the commentary that Juan Diaz, who was in phenominal shape, didnt lift weights or do road work, instead he swims for his cardio?

Lennox commented that this gives him those leaner muscles that are good for stamina. Instead of those hugely muscular bodies that get tend to tire out quicker. I dont know much about the benefits of swimming, but thinking about it logically it makes some sense to swim since you get a lot of arm and sholder excercise, so you wont punch yourself out as quickly. Anyone have an ideas on this?

BTW it seems to be working for Diaz, his punches stayed crisp throughout fight without any signficant loss of handspeed while Cotto seemed to fade after first couple of rounds.
    If this is true im going to start a swimming program as soon as posible.

Comment

How long does he swim for and how often?

Comment

I used to be a really serious swimmer before I turned to boxing.

I was actually pretty good, and my best stroke Butterfly got to within 2 seconds of qualifying for Olympic Trials!

When I made the switch to boxing, I was in the best shape of my life. I love boxing and am a much better boxer than swimmer, but even so it has taken me almost 4 years to get back to wear I started out! Just because right when I began boxing my conditioning was so great.

Swimming works all the muscles in your body. But unlike running (which is catabolic, meaning shrinks all the muscles in your body that it doesn't use)

Swimming gives you muscles in your back and arms that you never even knew you had! This helps not only with stamina but also increases your power.

Swimming also has the additional benifit that it is almost impossible to injure yourself by swimming, and runners almost always tear, or hurt something.

Comment

yea i recommend swimming for just about any kind of fitness program. i've been doing it for a while and its been great for both muscle strength and stamina as well as breathing efficiency.

hey joeboxer,
          are there any good swimming routines that youd recommend for boxing or just general fitness? right now, i do a set of 50 free then 50 breast and pyramid it up to 250 and back down to 50 in a bout an hour, but i really have no idea what is best for building strength and endurance. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by blockburna944
            yea i recommend swimming for just about any kind of fitness program. i've been doing it for a while and its been great for both muscle strength and stamina as well as breathing efficiency.

hey joeboxer,
            are there any good swimming routines that youd recommend for boxing or just general fitness? right now, i do a set of 50 free then 50 breast and pyramid it up to 250 and back down to 50 in a bout an hour, but i really have no idea what is best for building strength and endurance. thanks.
            I would like to know this as well JOe boxer.

Comment

Swimming is sort of resistance training which is supposed to work fast twitch muscles better, its also anerobic which is important for boxing.

Comment

Swimming is a great workout because it works most of the muscles, including the cardio, the water is cool, which keeps inflammation to a minimum, and the impact on the joints is also minimal. However, a lot of it also has to do with the individual. A natural talent like Diaz is liable to look good training in any number of ways, just so long as he gets his boxing in and watches his diet....Marciano used to train his punches standing in the water.

Comment

Slight correction, he would punch while treading water.

Comment

I loved swimming great conditioning for the muscles and the lungs as well as for the reflexes (as previously stated)....Keeps you in great shape w/o injury although cramps can become an issue w/o proper stretching....

I would love to get back into the grove of swimming again but (as with most people as well) I cant find a good place to do so...The public pools are nasty and are filled with people so you cant get any laps in and same goes for the YMCA and local fitness centers....You almost have to have your own pool to do so or get up at like 5am to do so and even then you will run into a 78 year old man in his speedos...

Comment

Working...
                    X