No announcement yet.

Broner will re-ignite American interest in Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bee Keepz View Post
    I agree about Ward. Broner has the personality and the skill to become a big time star. He's got a different personality than Mayweather, he's a lot funnier. He tries to take his opponents out too, and that will be big with people paying for his fights.
    Oh Broner will be a big star, but there is a difference between being a big star and reigniting boxing in america.

To me 're-ignite' boxing is pretty much making it a top 3 sport again. Kicking out the MLB. To do that. You need a HW Tyson or Ali.
    Or a 'fab four scenario'

Comment

Originally posted by Catch~Fade View Post
      Broner is alot more popular than you think. most of the time when i ask casuals about boxing they mention Broner. and how they want to see him fight Mayweather

but i see what you're saying. he's not on that level yet.
      Dude, more people know who Canelo Alvarez and Amir Kahn are than Broner. Ward and Froch are also more well known.

This won't change either, Broner is not charismatic and his style isn't even that fun to watch. Guys like Mayweather became popular because of his fight with DLH. It wasn't because of his style. This is just a fact. Mayweather wasn't nearly as popular until that fight. Now he gets PPV buys from the **** he talks and the undefeated record. People want to see him lose, or they just say how great he is. Who is going to bring Broner out like that? There isn't anyone right now.

America's attention is on HW's. There is nothing there right now. Sure, there are lots of casuals who order fights with their friends etc but do you think those guys go home talking about anything other than the main event? Even if it's the main event, if these guys aren't named Pacquiao, Mayweather, Canelo, or Cotto, aint nobody talking about them at work the next day.
      Last edited by Japanese Boxing; 11-18-2012, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee Keepz View Post
        I agree about Ward. Broner has the personality and the skill to become a big time star. He's got a different personality than Mayweather, he's a lot funnier. He tries to take his opponents out too, and that will be big with people paying for his fights.
        I am sorry but I don't think Broner is funny at all - he behaves like a 10-year-old ******, with his lame-ass jokes and infantile behaviour. The only one who really thinks Broner is funny is Broner himself.

I agree with the rest of the post though.

Comment

Let's put it this way, ask people to name the boxers they know most. I'd bet it'd be something like this...

1. Muhammad Ali
          2. Mike Tyson
          3. George Foreman (grills baby!)
          4. Oscar De La Hoya
          5. Evander Holyfield (Tyson bite)
          6. Roy Jones Jr.
          7. Sugar Ray Leonard (He might be much higher depends on when someone was born)
          8. Manny Pacquiao/Floyd Mayweather
          9. Manny Pacquiao/Floyd Mayweather
          10. Lennox Lewis (years where he was basically all that was talked about)

Some of these guys may be in different sports depending on when these people watched boxing. But all of them had their 15 minutes of fame and were probably the most publicized/memorable. Notice how almost all of those dudes are Heavyweights. Casuals don't know a damn thing about SRR or Roberto Duran etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Catch~Fade View Post
            Broner is alot more popular than you think. most of the time when i ask casuals about boxing they mention Broner. and how they want to see him fight Mayweather

but i see what you're saying. he's not on that level yet.
            I don't believe you

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
              Let's put it this way, ask people to name the boxers they know most. I'd bet it'd be something like this...

1. Muhammad Ali
              2. Mike Tyson
              3. George Foreman (grills baby!)
              4. Oscar De La Hoya
              5. Evander Holyfield (Tyson bite)
              6. Roy Jones Jr.
              7. Sugar Ray Leonard (He might be much higher depends on when someone was born)
              8. Manny Pacquiao/Floyd Mayweather
              9. Manny Pacquiao/Floyd Mayweather
              10. Lennox Lewis (years where he was basically all that was talked about)

Some of these guys may be in different sports depending on when these people watched boxing. But all of them had their 15 minutes of fame and were probably the most publicized/memorable. Notice how almost all of those dudes are Heavyweights. Casuals don't know a damn thing about SRR or Roberto Duran etc.
              I basically agree (in particular with regard to your top 3), but your list still is a bit US- or maybe americas-specific. trust me, very few casuals in europe know who mayweather, pacquiao and de lahoya are. I would even go so far as to say that more american casuals are familiar with the name "klitschko" than european casuals are with the names mayweather/pacquiao/de la hoya.

Comment

No, no, and no. It'll be Ward. Americans haven't been enamored over a lightweight since never.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolor View Post
                  I basically agree (in particular with regard to your top 3), but your list still is a bit US- or maybe americas-specific. trust me, very few casuals in europe know who mayweather, pacquiao and de lahoya are. I would even go so far as to say that more american casuals are familiar with the name "klitschko" than european casuals are with the names mayweather/pacquiao/de la hoya.
                  I think Pacquiao is better known in Europe than Oscar and Floyd, a reflection of the level of hype over the past 5 years.

Comment

Couldn't agree more, if boxing is to go back to the popularity it enjoyed in the States during the 70s and 80s then it will need an American heavyweight. It really is as simple as that. Over the last 6 or 7 years both Manny and Floyd have been huge stars, preceded by DLH but none of those guys garnered the attention that Tyson or Ali had in their heydays.

Broner is living under Floyd's shadow at the moment and even when he manages to creep out from under it, he won't make front page news.

Comment

Ward needs some devastating KOs to get more popular and Broner is giving the crowds what they want

Comment

Working...
                      X