No announcement yet.

It's amazing how fighters use to fight so many rounds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's amazing how fighters use to fight so many rounds

What stamina they use to have 40 round fights 100 round fights??really amazing,and fighters these days struggle to go 8

The longest boxing match (with gloves) in history was 110 rounds long.

It began around 9 p.m. on April 6, 1893 and ended the next day well after 4 a.m. Andy Bowen and Jack Burke fought for seven hours and 19 minutes in New Orleans, La. before the match was eventually deemed "no contest" when the fighters were too exhausted to continue. That decision was later changed to a "draw."

Read more: Boxing's Longest Match — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/box...#ixzz1bqDHYMBl

Comment

I'm a great admirer of fighters of the past. But never be kidded into thinking that the pace that they fought at over 100 odd rounds was much.

Punch output was rather lower than today and there was rather more feinting and clinching. No less admirable than today's boxers......but I think you'd find a 100 round fight quite boring to watch.

Of course there are fights today where there is little punch output (think the first 2 rounds of Haye vs Harrison!!).

Comment

I think a solid pro should not tire over 12 rounds unless the match is fought at a very high pace. The problem is that while some of the fighters may get in seemingly great shape at the time of the fight, they are not as dedicated outside the ring which takes away from their stamina. Weight-draining is a factor too.

When you're accustomed to going 10 to 15 rounds almost monthly, it becomes far easier to pace yourself and conserve your energy over the distance.

Look at a James Toney for example, he has been in awful condition for many fights yet he had no real trouble going 12 rounds unless an opponent forced him to fight through an uncomfortable pace (which has rarely happened).

All the unnecessary, energy-sapping movements have to be eliminated if you wish to go 20 rounds or more. Unless you're a Battling Nelson or Ad Wolgast who just seemed to have unbelievable stamina.

Comment

Working...
        X