No announcement yet.

Bob Fitzsimmons-king of KOs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Fitzsimmons-king of KOs

I recently saw that Fitz’s ko% was 93.5% which seemed impressive (highest of any heavyweight champion) so I did some more research to see what was his record at heavyweight.

Turns out his ko% at heavyweight is 100%, the highest of any heavyweight ever ! (Tied with Mac Foster of course)

Originally posted by Dempsey19 View Post
    I recently saw that Fitz’s ko% was 93.5% which seemed impressive (highest of any heavyweight champion) so I did some more research to see what was his record at heavyweight.

Turns out his ko% at heavyweight is 100%, the highest of any heavyweight ever ! (Tied with Mac Foster of course)
    How is it 100% if he never beat the champ?

Comment

- -Dunno yer source, but boxrec sez his KO% is 71 overall. You can review his record here where he lost to several heavys:

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/010552

Of his 61 wins, 57 are by ko impressive to be sure but 7 of his 8 losses were by KO and then there are the newspaper wins that boxrec seems to place in a different category, and the NC/NDs. Interesting in seems he never had a draw that were popular then.

Comment

Originally posted by queensburyrules View Post
        - -dunno yer source, but boxrec sez his ko% is 71 overall. You can review his record here where he lost to several heavys:

of his 61 wins, 57 are by ko impressive to be sure but 7 of his 8 losses were by ko and then there are the newspaper wins that boxrec seems to place in a different category, and the nc/nds. Interesting in seems he never had a draw that were popular then.
        61/57 = 93.5

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey19 View Post
          61/57 = 93.5
          No one uses ko% this way!

This statistic should tell us something about a boxer's hitting-power, but used this way it doesn't.

Which is why we use the percentage of ALL fights that ends in a stoppage win - anything else makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
            - -Dunno yer source, but boxrec sez his KO% is 71 overall. You can review his record here where he lost to several heavys:

Of his 61 wins, 57 are by ko impressive to be sure but 7 of his 8 losses were by KO and then there are the newspaper wins that boxrec seems to place in a different category, and the NC/NDs. Interesting in seems he never had a draw that were popular then.
            According to boxrec he had 4 draws

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
              No one uses ko% this way!

This statistic should tell us something about a boxer's hitting-power, but used this way it doesn't.

Which is why we use the percentage of ALL fights that ends in a stoppage win - anything else makes no sense.
              I never agreed with that. Losses should count because it's still a fight they had where they had the opportunity to deliver a knockout and they failed, which is an indication about their ability to produce a KO.

Comment

Originally posted by KidDinamita View Post
                - -Good catch.

Dunno why I didn't see that other than I often rush my responses lest my ancient iPhone drops service on me that kills whatever I'm responding to.

Comment

Originally posted by KidDinamita View Post
                  In those days draws were very common. Regarding Fitz he was a man who had big upper body proportions, big shoulders, hands, chest... So he could punch with the best of them at his time. Caught Corbett with a beauty to the plexis.

Comment

Originally posted by Quaccey View Post
                    How is it 100% if he never beat the champ?
                    Not understanding this. He did KO Heavyweight CHAMPION Corbett to win the title so....

Comment

Working...
                    X