Collapse
No announcement yet.

50-0 Mayweather carefully breaks historic Marciano record

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does it matter if fighting an 0-0 opponent happened in his 3rd or in his 50th fight? They all count. Or should we start looking at fighters' early careers and removing wins because the opponent was inexperienced. Manny Pacquaio does not have 59 wins, he has 50 wins because I looked at his resume and 9 guys were jokes to fight.

50-0 is 50-0, 49-0 is 49-0. They are just part of the whole picture. 49-0 is a great accomplishment, 50-0 is not much better until you start looking at the whole picture. Fighting 25 different champions in 5 different weight classes and being the lineal champ is 4 different weight classes is more impressive than 50-0, but 50-0 adds a nice achievement still.

So here's the truth, Mayweather has a much better resume than any other undefeated fighter, period. And any not undefeated fighter who has as good of a resume as Floyd doesn't have 50-0 to go on their resume. It's the whole picture you have to judge.

SRR, probably him getting to 128-1-2 is more impressive than 50-0 considering his quality of oppo was really good in those fights. Losing 18 more fights as he fought on does take away from that incredible start though. You have to consider the whole body of work and all the records and stats.

SRL, stellar competition, slightly too planned career, a couple losses and a draw to go along with a couple gift decisions. Terry Norris loss matters some, Camacho loss barely matters at all but still registers.

Duran, Got to 72-1 against decent competition culminating in beat SRL. Then took some bad losses. But went up in weight and won titles, stayed around too long and took a bunch more bad losses. You look at the whole career.

Mayweather, 50-0, went 50-0 because he only had 2 close fights so the jusdges never had chances to steal one from him. 5 different weight classes. 25+ champs fought, and 30+ title fights. Fought for title in his 18th fight. His era didn't have the same caliber of fighter as SRL and Duran's.

Ali, got to 55-2 fighting an incredible card while avenging his losses. Lost 3 of his last 4 fights when he was past it, those count just a little.

Those are the only 5 fighters to me that can stake a rightful claim to #1 all time. Greb, Louis, and Pep get honorable mention, but I cannot make a case for any of them for the #1 spot. Who you rank #1 among those 5 just depends on what you as a fan value most.

My list is fluid as I consider new info or look at things differently, right now it goes:
    1a. SRR
    1b. Mayweather
    3. Duran
    4. Ali
    5. SRL

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
      why the need to call names?
      I'm off my meds today larry my bad bro

Comment

Mayweathers resume >>>>>>>>> Marcianos.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          Jealous of what, mediocrity? No sir, there's plenty of that to go around.
          Ok, so just hate then...got it.

Comment

Honestly beating the record wasn't as big a deal as people made out. Floyd had been greater than Marciano years before he was 49-0 or 50-0 now. You'd think Ali or Duran retired 49-0 the way it's been talked about.

Comment

It was a big deal when Marciano had the record all these years. But now that Floyd has the record suddenly some people don't want it to be a big deal anymore.

That isn't fair play.

Comment

Originally posted by j.razor View Post
                SMH....Your full of s**t. Go look at the tapes of all the previous fighters & follow their WHOLE CAREER & opponents, they don't rank up to Floyd. Floyd is The Best Ever.

Harry Greb surpassed Floyds resume in ONE single year!

Comment

It is always amusing to see the churls out in force after another Mayweather letdown they come to praise and defend.

I have to disagree with Ghost Of Dempsey on this one, who I often agree with. Ghost, anyone who breaks that record will only need to do it against so-so competition with a few major names sprinkled in. Mayweather did not face the toughest fighters when they were still feared. He went after big names that were shot. That is all anyone else will have to do. It does not take a great boxer to rouse churls from their slumber caves by the millions, it takes someone whose punkish behavior they idolize.

Comment

How is this a "record ?"

It just means you retired before losing or did not take enough risks or fights

A record would be most wins before losing

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post

Harry Greb surpassed Floyds resume in ONE single year!
                      Yea at fighting most bums ever....lol

Comment

Working...
                      X