Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amateur vs Professional - Does Skill in one Translate to the Other?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElBossHogg™ View Post
    amatuer you have head gear and huge gloves and the way they score fights is just plain dumb. in the pros no head gear smaller gloves and the scoring is based on more elements of boxing then just tag the other person.

So where one fighter can be great in the amateurs, he can still be very untested in the pros. It different on a case by case situation, look at taylor sucked in the amateurs compared to his olympic team counterparts but then he out performed them and thrived in the pros.
    What does head gear and gloves, have to do with fundmental boxing skill??? Not to mention next year,ther ewill be no head gear.

And the basic element of scoring in the Amaeturs is the age old concept of Hit and not Get Hit.

Comment

I think it depends on when the fighters make the transition, a lot of the fighters you mentioned made the transition in their early 20s. I think when a fighter makes the transition after their late 20s they miss out on valuable experience as they're forced to play catch up to avoid reaching where they'd want to be as a professional passed their physical prime.

Comment

If you show me ten sucessful amateurs that had great pro careers, I could show you ten who also failed in the pros. I believe the experiance really helps in the pros but it is no guarantee.

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithfire View Post
          why do they call it amateurs

and why do they call it proffesionals

hmmn, tough one
          because one is participated in for gain or livelihood and the other amateurs dont get compensated you moron

Comment

Originally posted by Nekronicle View Post
            What does head gear and gloves, have to do with fundmental boxing skill??? Not to mention next year,ther ewill be no head gear.

And the basic element of scoring in the Amaeturs is the age old concept of Hit and not Get Hit.
            do they score for not getting hit?

and head gear etc etc has alot to do with it when it comes to comparing amatuers vs pros.

If you dont see it then okay, you obviously are just on some bias trip.

and thats you behind 50 cent correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
              because one is participated in for gain or livelihood and the other amateurs dont get compensated you moron
              nice one captain obvious

Comment

Any type of experience is good in terms of anything you do. Many Olympians with extensive amateur backgrounds become good pros. Whoever disagrees don't know shiz about boxing or life in general

Comment

amateurs is where you hone skills and technique, pros is where you sustain it and start to develop more heart and stamina than you've ever imagined. amateurs takes you to the limit, pros breaks those limits. GOD i love boxing metaphors

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg™ View Post
                    do they score for not getting hit?

and head gear etc etc has alot to do with it when it comes to comparing amatuers vs pros.

If you dont see it then okay, you obviously are just on some bias trip.

and thats you behind 50 cent correct?

hahah yeah thats me.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting_Pride View Post
                      amateurs is where you hone skills and technique, pros is where you sustain it and start to develop more heart and stamina than you've ever imagined. amateurs takes you to the limit, pros breaks those limits. GOD i love boxing metaphors
                      haha

Comment

Working...
                      X